Display willy wonka1 e1472952466111
by Elizabeth Robinson

7 Meme Costumes Certain to Make Your Friends Groan

By Elizabeth Robinson - Oct 18 2016

It's no longer cool to dress up as your favorite superhero, and some people prefer not to dress as a sexy nurse, so here are some costumes to replace both of these categories...with memes. 

For the uninitiated, memes are defined, according to Google as, "an element of a culture or system of behavior that may be considered to be passed from one individual to another by nongenetic means, especially imitation" or "a humorous image, video, piece of text, etc. that is copied (often with slight variations) and spread rapidly by Internet users."

In layman's terms: every meme is a huge inside joke shared by the Internet. If you're online to read this article, you've likely seen some before. Here are just a few examples of memes that you could make into great Halloween costumes.

1. Left Shark 

"Left Shark" is a reference to a backup dancer in Katy Perry's performance during the 2015 Superbowl Halftime. Two backup dancers were dressed like sharks, one of which completely fumbled the "Teenage Dream" performance onstage. 

This costume is sure to count as a double bonus. Adults and children who don't understand the reference will be happy to see you out in a lovely shark costume, and every teen who hasn't been living under a rock since the Super Bowl will get a nice, ironic chuckle out of it.

2. Rick Roll 

If your goal is to troll, then go with Rick Roll. 

The Rick Roll is a popular prank. The prankster will post a link to a music video of Rick Roll's 1987 hit, "Never Gonna Give You Up," claiming it to be something else. 

If you consider yourself a prankster, or you spent a great deal of time telling puns, then this is the costume for you. Adults and kids will have no idea who you are, but you can annoy countless teens all night long with your, erm, lovely singing voice.

3. "But That's None of my Business" 

This passive-aggressive meme is sure to make plenty of people groan. "But that's none of my business" is a phrase used as a critical response to a tactless social mistake or something else worthy of disapproval. Did someone say something annoying? Summarize its social flaws, and then follow it with, "But that's none of my business..." 

Gather a cup of tea and your best condescending face! Include a sign with the caption and everything. This is also a trolling costume, but one with more brainpower involved. See how many times you can use the phrase, "But that's none of my business" in actual conversation. 

Extra congratulations if you can also find an adult-sized Kermit the Frog costume to go with your sign.

4. Troll Face 

The trollface first made its appearance in a 2008 web comic. Although its popularity has since passed, it is one of the best known memes out there. So it's a bit outdated, and adults and kids will think you're creepy, but if you really want to take "troll" to the next level...

5. "Tell Me More"

Just like the Kermit, this one is an intellectual challenge. See how many times you can include this phrase and Willy Wonka's unenthusiastic smile throughout the night. Did your friend say something incredibly obvious or just downright stupid? Sarcastically ask them to tell you more about the topic. 

6. Nyan Cat 

This one's a bit outdated...but it's still a goodie, in my opinion. You may have to make this costume yourself, but that just makes it more fun! You can customize how long your rainbow tail is, for example...

Just think, that could be your face instead of Ron's.

This costume is not for the faint of heart. You have to keep up your energy all night, because whenever someone asks who you're dressed as, you have to enthusiastically respond, "JOHN CEEEENA!" 

Extra congratulations if you bring something you can use to play John Cena's theme song. 

But these aren't the only memes in the world. Get creative with your costumes! Go onto Tumblr and see what pops up. There are as many memes as there are people willing to spread them, so the sky's the limit. 

Lead Image Credit: Paramount Pictures

Elizabeth Robinson - University of Texas at Austin

I'm a sophomore at UT Austin majoring in Dean's Biology. I've loved writing since elementary school and published my first novel in high school. I love reading, writing (obviously), foreign languages, doggos, martial arts, anthropology, theater, and watching far too much YouTube. I dream of being a fiction author and geneticist after graduate school, hopefully combining my two loves to change the world. Follow me on Twitter @MetokaPublishi1, Instagram as BlackPage13, or (best option) visit my website,!