Display 6029582502 b03f78a458 o
by Elizabeth Paul

The Princeton Review Releases 2016 College Rankings

By Elizabeth Paul - Aug 15 2015

The Princeton Review has published their annual list of the best colleges in the United States. 

The 24th edition of the Best 380 Colleges includes 62 rankings that cover nearly all aspects of student experiences, from financial aid and academics to extracurricular activities and quality of life. Most lists rank the top 20 schools of each category. 

According to The Princeton Reviewthe lists are based on survey responses from 136,000 students at 380 different college campuses across the U.S. On average, 358 students from each school participate in the survey.

According to The Princeton Review, the survey "asks students 80 questions about their school's academics, administration, student body, and themselves. The ranking methodology uses a five-point Likert scale to convert qualitative student assessments into quantitative data for school-to-school comparisons."

The student-only responses offer a candid "campus snapshot," according to Rob Franek, the Senior Vice President-Publisher of The Princeton Review, 

"All of our lists are based on the opinions of students at each school. While editors, administrators, and faculty may all have useful information and advice to impart, only students can truly dish the dirt, and heap the praise, on what their schools have to offer," said Franek.

Here are a few of this year's rankings.

Great Financial Aid

1. Princeton University- Princeton, NJ

2. Yale University- New Haven, CT

3. Vassar College- Poughkeepsie, NY

Professors Get High Marks

1. Swarthmore College- Swarthmore, PA

2. Bennington College- Bennington, VT

3. Reed College- Portland, OR

Best College Newspapers

1. Cornell University- Ithaca, NY

2. Yale University- New Haven, CT

3. Pennsylvania State University at University Park- University Park, PA

Best Campus Food

1. Bowdoin College- Brunswick, ME

2. University of Massachusetts at Amherst- Amherst, MA

3. Virginia Tech- Blacksburg, VA

Happiest Students

1. Vanderbilt University- Nashville, TN

2. Virginia Tech- Blacksburg, VA

3. Claremont McKenna College- Claremont, CA

Party Schools

1. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign- Champaign, IL

2. University of Iowa- Iowa City, IA

3. University of Wisconsin at Madison- Madison, WI

College City Gets High Marks

1. Tulane University- New Orleans, LA

2. George Washington University- Washington, DC

3. Boston University- Boston, MA

You can find the complete list of the 2016 rankings here.

Lead Image Credit: mystuart (on and off)

Elizabeth Paul - Vanderbilt University

Elizabeth Paul is a freshman at Vanderbilt University double majoring in Human and Organizational Development and English. She was the editor-in-chief of her school's newspaper and is an avid fan of Taylor Swift, cupcakes and classic literature. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @_ElizabethhP.