Display photo 1503676382389 4809596d5290
by Eleanor Bock

How to Stay Calm While Changing your Major

By Eleanor Bock - Feb 25 2018

Choosing a major is incredibly stressful. It can determine the classes that you take for the next four years, as well as your future internships and career. Surprisingly, seventy-five percent of college students change their major at least once. Hopefully with these tips changing your major will be a little less stressful.

1. Utilize your campus's resources

Most colleges and universities have academic advisors and career coaches who get paid to help you make decisions about your career path and academic plan. They are there for you! So make an appointment or even drop in to receive some advice. 

2. Talk to upperclassmen

It's likely that your upperclassmen friends have changed their major before. Consult them and ask for their advice, they'd love to help.

3. Take some random classes

Sometimes taking a random psychology class can spark your interest in psychology. Taking one random class can lead to another and another. And soon, you've found your new major and fallen in love with it. Even if you don't like the class, at least you'll know what not to major in.

4. Attend a job fair

Even if you're not looking for a job, a job fair can be a great place to learn about different industries that might interest you. Then, you can think about possible majors that fit these career paths. It can also be a great opportunity to network and secure internships and jobs in the future.

5. Talk to your mom

At the end of the day, your mom's always right. Sit back, breathe and call your mom. It's okay to be stressed.

At the end of the day, college is incredibly overwhelming and your major could determine the rest of your life. Some people know immediately what they want to major in and have a five year plan, and that's great. The rest of us aren't quite sure—and that's great too. College is all about experimenting, trying new things and finding yourself.

Eleanor Bock - George Washington University

GW 2021