Display 32288308264 5fa1e73f34 o
by Eleanor Bock

18 States are Suing the Department of Education Over Betsy DeVos' Latest Move

By Eleanor Bock - Jul 10 2017

After just a few months of serving as the United States Secretary of Education, Betsy DeVos has accrued quite a few enemies. The latest are 18 states who are suing the Department of Education over DeVos's new delay of the borrower defense rule, which was adopted under the Obama administration in November. This rule targets schools that violated state laws related to federal student loans or the educational services for which the loan was provided, and has already helped thousands of students and their families. Devos delayed this rule for future years because she claims the rule has created ""a muddled process that's unfair to students and schools, and puts taxpayers on the hook for significant costs."

There are 16,000 borrower defense claims under processing currently and DeVos and the DOE have stated that these claims will still be paid out. However, DeVos' actions will hurt millions of students who want to fight back against for-profit colleges in coming years. Now, students who have been deceived by for-profit universities and given predatory loans won't receive federally assisted loan forgiveness and will drown in student debt, which can take 20 or 30 years to pay off. New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman argues that, "These rules served as critical protections against predatory for-profit schools that exploit hardworking students — students who are simply trying to invest in their own education and future."

The states suing the Department of Education are California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Iowa, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, Washington and Washington DC. They are standing up for the students in their state and deserve to be applauded. DeVos continuing to side with for-profit colleges and delaying the borrower defense rule is condoning the predatory practices of for-profit colleges. For-profit colleges are exploiting hardworking students and this should not be tolerated.

Lead Image Credit: Gage Skidmore via Flickr Creative Commons

Eleanor Bock - George Washington University

GW 2021