by Elaina Berkowitz

Looks for Less: Winter 2016 Fashion

By Elaina Berkowitz - Jan 29 2016

Keeping up with trends can be a pricey endeavor. Trendy stores come at a cost, but there are ways to stay in style and save money.

I compared the prices of name-brand items with cheaper alternatives. Here's a few ways you can save money on trends this season.

1. Puffer Vests

JCrew | $120.00

This black vest would add a classic twist to any outfit. It's a timeless piece, but is definitely trending right now.

Francesca's | $44.00

This version of the classic JCrew black vest is almost an exact replica. It has the same gold detailing and pocket placement.

2. Rosegold Watches

Fossil | $155.00

Fossil is a popular brand and rose gold has been trending for a long time.

American Eagle | $29.95

American Eagle is a nice, quality brand that isn’t too pricey. This watch is pretty similar to the Fossil one and the rose gold pops.

3. Fleece Pullovers

Patagonia | $119.00

Patagonia has been increasingly trendy, especially with college students. Their classic pullover is really warm and this one has a fun hint of purple.

Columbia | $60.00

Columbia is another popular brand for winter clothes, but it definitely a lot cheaper. This pullover is comparable to the Patagonia one, though there are hints of blue instead of purple.

4. Round Sunglasses

Ray Ban | $165.00

Ray Bans have always been a popular choice for sunglasses. Lately the circle lens style has been popular, especially with people our age.

ASOS | $17.11

These ASOS sunglasses are a little different, but they have the circle lens style and leopard print theme going on that’s similar to the Ray Bans.

5. Suede Over-the-Knee Boots

Stuart Weitzman | $655.00

Over-the-knee boots have recently come into style and these suede black ones seem to be the most popular.

Macy's | $48.30

Stuart Weitzman boots are very pricey and not something you would necessarily wear everyday. These Macy’s boots are perfect because they’re nice quality, but a fair price.

6. Pearl Necklaces

JCrew | $98.00

JCrew is popular for their beautiful statement necklaces. This one specifically is timeless and classic.

Forever 21 | $12.90

Pearls are something that can be extremely expensive, but it’s easy to find fake alternatives. This Forever 21 necklace is very inexpensive, but does the job.

7. Patterned Workout Leggings

Lululemon | $88.00

Lululemon makes working out fun. Recently, they have come out with leggings that come in a variety of fun colors and patterns.

Target | $25.00

Buying a variety of pattern leggings for each day of the week could be more fun than spending a lot of money on one pair. Target’s workout section is perfect for finding fun clothes for a nice price.

Lead Image Credit: Michelle Perel

Elaina Berkowitz - Syracuse University

“Elaina is a freshman at Syracuse University majoring in Advertising. She loves writing, watching The Office and dancing. Her favorite things are ice cream and Instagram. You can follow her on Twitter @Elaina_Berk and on Instragram @elainaberk!