Display parks rec  2
by Elaina Berkowitz

Freshmen Year As Told By Parks and Recreation

By Elaina Berkowitz - Nov 25 2015

The characters in Parks and Recreation are super relatable. Most of them have personalities that correlate with aspects of freshmen year that we can all relate to.

1. Participating in icebreakers

via GIPHY

April is known for hating everything and everyone. She is very sarcastic and usually 100% done with everything going on. This is how freshmen feel when they hear the word “icebreaker” during orientation week.

2. Forgetting everyone's names 

via GIPHY

Jerry is the character that everyone notoriously calls the wrong name. Freshmen meet so many people that it’s hard to remember some (any) names.

3. Working in groups

via GIPHY

Councilman Jamm is the character that never lets Leslie’s ideas pass. Working in a group project is like working with Councilman Jamm: frustrating and impossible.

4. Trying to make money

via GIPHY

Tom Haverford is known for making money in extreme and wacky ways. Freshmen are trying to get by as best they can and save money in crazy ways.

5. Avoiding responsibility

via GIPHY

Jean Ralphio is the character that avoids all responsibilities and relies solely on his dad for money and needs. Freshmen are still adjusting to living on their own and try to avoid responsibilities, like laundry or dishes, as best they can.

6. Going to parties

via GIPHY

Ben is a very responsible guy and is usually super stressed out. This is how frat parties on campus feel sometimes.

7. Coming home for break

via GIPHY

Ron Swanson loves food. Don’t we all? College is known for bad food and the freshmen fifteen. We're just like Ron Swanson when we go home for break because we take advantage of eating good food (and a lot of it).

8. Trying not to get sick

via GIPHY

Chris Traeger is the show’s health freak. In college, everyone is either sick or something every minute avoiding the freshmen plague.

9. Going crazy on the weekends

via GIPHY

Donna is known for saying “treat yo self.” Freshmen have so much work to do for class on the weekdays, so on the weekends that tends to be our motto too.

10. Trying to survive

via GIPHY

Leslie is the show’s main character and I think all of us understand her in some way. She does her best and tries everything she can to be as successful as possible. We can all relate, in that we all want to do our best despite how sleep deprived we are. 

Lead Image Credit: NBC

Elaina Berkowitz - Syracuse University

“Elaina is a freshman at Syracuse University majoring in Advertising. She loves writing, watching The Office and dancing. Her favorite things are ice cream and Instagram. You can follow her on Twitter @Elaina_Berk and on Instragram @elainaberk!