Display 635401229425243803 36786422 800 spring break11.imgopt1400x60  1
by Elaina Berkowitz

Expectations vs Reality: College Parties

By Elaina Berkowitz - Nov 06 2015

The college parties on television and in movies are always amazing. They set the bar high for college, but in reality college parties are far from glamorous. Your expectations of what your first college party would be like were likely a lot different than how it actually was.

1. Getting Ready

Expectation: You and your friends spend hours dancing around and helping each other get ready. When party time rolls around, you’re more than ready to go.

Reality: You all scramble into a tiny, hot dorm room with 10 minutes to get ready. Everyone runs around trying to find outlets for hair curlers and speakers.

2. Socializing

Expectation: You and your group walk in and instantly meet new people to talk to and dance with.

Reality: It seems like everyone already knows everyone and you struggle to find something to say.

3. Dancing

Expectation: You’ve overcome those awkward middle school dance days and are now able to dance in a socially acceptable manner.

Reality: You absolutely have not overcome those awkward middle school days.

4. Meeting Significant Others

Expectation: You’re in the middle of breaking it down to Beyoncé when you catch the eye of your dream guy across the room. You talk for hours, dance together, and end the night with a perfect kiss.

Reality: You’re trying to dance with your best friend to your favorite song when the creepy guy nobody knows comes over to dance with you. You spend the rest of the night dodging him with your friends.

5. Being Drunk

Expectation: You’ve taken one too many shots, but you’re chill and ready to show off your dance moves and definitely not embarrass yourself.

Reality: You’re about 5 shots too drunk and 5 times more embarrassing than usual.

6. The Music

Expectation: The perfect mix of pop, rap, and classic throwbacks play and all your favorite songs come on.

Reality: 800 of the same rap songs you hear at every party blast through the speakers and you can barely hear yourself think.

7. The Next Day

Expectation: You have a mild headache, but you shower and grab a coffee and you’re ready for the day. You plan to watch movies all day in bed.

Reality: You wake up and feel like you might actually die. You’d do anything to lay in bed all day, but you have 400 essays to write.

Featured Image Credit: Theoldreader.com

Elaina Berkowitz - Syracuse University

“Elaina is a freshman at Syracuse University majoring in Advertising. She loves writing, watching The Office and dancing. Her favorite things are ice cream and Instagram. You can follow her on Twitter @Elaina_Berk and on Instragram @elainaberk!