Display 86001bca8a9d1684830379d6fce9b0e2  1
by Elaina Berkowitz

The 10 Stages of Finding Out Who Your Big Is

By Elaina Berkowitz - Mar 06 2016

Big/little week is the biggest roller coaster of emotions for the new pledge class of a sorority. For the entire week, the “bigs” know who their “littles” are, but the “littles” have no idea who their “bigs” are. During the week, the bigs send their littles anonymous messages and treats to mess with them. It’s super exciting and stressful for the littles and they tend to go through these stages…

1. Excitement

“I’m so excited to finally get a big! This week is going to be so fun waiting to find out who she is”

via GIPHY

2. Anxiety

“Oh boy I still have 6 days until I find out who she is. I need to know now I don’t think I can last a week.”

via GIPHY

3. Nervousness

“What if she hates me? What if she’s someone I’ve never met? What if I don’t have a big? What’s happening????”

via GIPHY

4. Confidence

“Oh I DEFINITELY know who it is. My anonymous big used the word “cool” and the girl I think it is also uses the word cool….”

via GIPHY

5. Doubt

“I saw the girl I thought it was on campus today and she said hi but like not super excitedly????? Maybe she’s not my big like maybe she hates me??? Omg she is DEFINITELY NOT my big!”

via GIPHY

6. Stalking

“My big hinted she likes the beach…” *stalks facebook 5 years back* “She went to the beach like 4 summers in a row she must be my big!!!”

via GIPHY

7. Defeat

“64 other sisters ALSO went to the beach 4 years in a row…”

via GIPHY

8. Denial

“I’m fine. I’M FINE. No matter who it is, I’m sure it’s going to be OK.

via GIPHY

9. Panic

“I AM NOT OKAY. SOS. These girls are playing MIND GAMES. Someone called me their little today so she’s joking but like reverse psychology???? Who knows!!”

via GIPHY

10. Happiness

After hours of stalking and overanalyzing you realize there is so much to look forward to… “I LOVE EVERYONE AND I AM SO EXCITED FOR REVEAL!! Also low key totally panicking…”

via GIPHY

As emotional as big/little week is, each girl knows she’ll love to have anyone as her big because she has a bond with many girls in her chapter. From excitement, to denial, to panic, and all the way back to happiness, big/little week is one of the best weeks of the semester. 

Lead Image Credit: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com

Elaina Berkowitz - Syracuse University

“Elaina is a freshman at Syracuse University majoring in Advertising. She loves writing, watching The Office and dancing. Her favorite things are ice cream and Instagram. You can follow her on Twitter @Elaina_Berk and on Instragram @elainaberk!