by E'Stevan Ashe

Yale Drops Case Against School Worker Who Broke Window Depicting Slaves

By E'Stevan Ashe - Jul 20 2016

When the Yale police took 38-year-old Corey Menafee in June after he smashed a window showing Yale alumnus John C. Calhoun, a former slaveholder, it sparked outrage from students and activists around the country. 

“No employee should be subject to coming to work and seeing slave portraits on a daily basis,” Mr. Menafee told a police officer.  

When Menafee made his way into court on Tuesday morning, he was welcomed by over 40 students and faculty members.

“Yale has to decide which is more valuable: a stained-glass window, or the dignity and humanity of the black people who live and work at Yale,” said Megan Fountain, an alumna of the school. 

This isn't the first time Yale has been under fire for the promotion of Calhoun around campus; many African American students agree that the images are disturbing to see each and every day and makes them feel very unwelcome.

Thankfully, Yale has decided that they want their students and faculty to feel safe and welcome, so they have decided to not press charges. Good choice.

Lead Image: New Haven Independent

E'Stevan Ashe - Georgia State University

E'Stevan Ashe will attend Georgia State University in Atlanta, Georgia beginning in August 2016. He is pursuing a dual degree in film and journalism while minoring in political science.