Display 9763349552 e9e8ee4a66 o
by E'Stevan Ashe

Will A Recent Supreme Court Ruling Lead To More DUI's?

By E'Stevan Ashe - Jul 20 2016

Many experts believe that the Supreme Court's latest ruling that permits a breath test without a warrant will result in more DUI convictions of students in college. 

According to USA Today, the Supreme Court decided that this ruling would not violate the fourth amendment, which protects unreasonable searches and seizures, however, if an officer proposes a blood test, a warrant will need to be issued. The Supreme Court considered this a compromise so no amendment would be sacrificed.

Experts believe that this will result in more DUI convictions based on more impaired drivers on the road and more people getting arrested for refusing the breathalyzer test. 

“I think [the effect of Birchfield] could be amplified because college-aged youth is more often unaware of the rights they have as American citizens in the moments of an arrest, interrogation and police investigation,” Andrews stated to USA TODAY College. “Many people simply aren’t taught what rights they have until they learn the hard way; a college-aged youth would be no different.”

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, in fatal crashes in 2014, the highest percentage — 30% — of drunk drivers were college aged students.

Whether this ruling results in more students receiving DUI's remains to be seen, but it is extremely important for each student to know all of their rights as American citizens and to always drink responsibly.

Lead Image Credit: Frances Hamrock via Flickr

E'Stevan Ashe - Georgia State University

E'Stevan Ashe will attend Georgia State University in Atlanta, Georgia beginning in August 2016. He is pursuing a dual degree in film and journalism while minoring in political science.