Display 13395136 245434542505953 53016
by E'Stevan Ashe

Why Are People Saying The Brexit Vote Makes A Trump Presidency More Likely?

By E'Stevan Ashe - Jun 25 2016

The aftermath of Britain's decision to leave the European Union can be felt across the Atlantic from the stocks dropping dramatically and to many Americans who are expecting a similar turnout in the United State come November. In a tight race in which 52% of voters chose to leave the European Union and 48% chose to remain it is clear the world is currently in a political revolution. Many analysts are quick to point out that those who voted "Leave" remind us of so many Donald Trump supporters. Britain and America can both be seen as voters losing control of politics. Friday, Trump spoke of Britain's decision by stating, "Come November, the American people will have the chance to re-declare their independence. Americans will have a chance to vote for trade, immigration and foreign policies that put our citizens first," he said. "They will have the chance to reject today's rule by the global elite, and to embrace real change that delivers a government of, by and for the people."

Even the policies of Donald Trump and Brexit's leader Nigel Farage are nearly the same. Farage has used Islamaphobia on different occasions referring to Muslims as "fifth columns living in our country who hate, and want to kills us." It's also easy to point out similar problems between Britain and here in the United States. This may force citizens who are torn between candidates to go for the more anti-establishment choice in Donald Trump. Many of those who voted Leave in Britain were persuaded by economic elites who businesses will grow stronger through the free trade this newfound independence will allow. Trump sympathizers can understand how he can also make the United States more open to free trade.

Those who voted leave believed that immigration is major problem in Britain. Those who support Trump also agree that immigration is "out of control" in the United States.  Many citizens here who may have encountered problems with immigration may align with Trump who wants stricter border policies.

Americans who are on the fence may decide to vote for Trump during the heat of the moment and could possibly end up like this leave voter who stated to BBC, "I'm shocked & worried. I voted Leave but didn't think my vote would count - I never thought it would actually happen."

America will be in the midst of a Political revolution come November and if Brexit taught us anything, it showed us that every vote will count! Your vote may very well help shape our country forever for better or worse.

Lead Image: David Moir via Instagram

E'Stevan Ashe - Georgia State University

E'Stevan Ashe will attend Georgia State University in Atlanta, Georgia beginning in August 2016. He is pursuing a dual degree in film and journalism while minoring in political science.