by E'Stevan Ashe

This Male Professor Is Suing MSU For Having A Women's Lounge

By E'Stevan Ashe - Jul 20 2016

According to USA Today, a University of Michigan-Flint Professor is filing a civil lawsuit against Michigan State Univerisity over its women study lounge.

The lounge located on the first floor of the MSU Student Union has historically been a women's only lounge, but the school has decided that the lounge will no longer be restricted to a certain group of students.  The school plans on repurposing the lounge into an all-purpose quiet study area available to all students. 

The renovated space will also include a private lactation area for women who are breastfeeding. The complaint was issued by Mark Perry who states:

“I think MSU owes an apology to the thousands of men whose civil rights have been violated.” 

The MSU Student Union was once home to a separate women-only lounge as well as one that is for men only; the men only lounge has since been converted to an open area for students. MSU senior Kyra Benn said she thought it wasn’t a big deal to have one space restricted when there are hundreds of locations to study on campus.

Here are how some of the students and other people have reacted to the news:

It is important that people have places on campus where they feel comfortable, but whether colleges feel that certain areas should be restricted to certain people or genders has yet to be determined. As students, we should stand up for what we feel is right in order to make our schools welcoming to us.

Lead Image Credit: USA Today

E'Stevan Ashe - Georgia State University

E'Stevan Ashe will attend Georgia State University in Atlanta, Georgia beginning in August 2016. He is pursuing a dual degree in film and journalism while minoring in political science.