Display feat29 kaine clinton
by E'Stevan Ashe

Meet Tim Kaine, Hillary Clinton's VP Pick

By E'Stevan Ashe - Jul 24 2016

Last night Hillary Clinton announced her Vice President pick by sending a text to all of her supporters, she had chosen Senator Tim Kaine from Virginia. Many Democratic analysts suggest Clinton made the "responsible choice" against the unpredictable Donald Trump. Hillary Clinton will formally announce Senator Kaine at a speaking event later on Saturday at Florida International University.

Tim Kaine is 58 years old, he is one of only 20 people in American history that have served as Mayor, Governor and Senator. He is a civil rights lawyer and spent nearly all 17 years of his law career securing fair housing laws for those discriminated because of race or disability. Kaine is fluent in Spanish and spent nine months in Hounduras between years in law school to help missionary students. Tim Kaine has also took stands on major isssues of the country. 

Criminal Justice 

Tim Kaine is against the death penalty, but as Governor was forced to oversee 11 executuions. He has stated that although he is Roman Catholic he felt he was obligated by law. He has also stated that we need to focus on the overuse of incarceration towards minorties, and giving judges more flexibility when sentenicing. 

Tim Kaine helped expand the state of Virginia's preschool program that serves at-risk children in families in poverty while serving as Governor. He has long pushed for a tution lowerance of colleges and unversities, he has also been an advocate for student loan interest cuts and more tution assistance for low-income households. 

Gun Control

Tim Kaine is a supporter of gun control measures, and has voted to reduce the sell of millitary level weapons by everyday gun shops. Kaine has also pushed against more background screening for those attempting to buy guns. He voted yes to restructing the Second Amendment which wouldn't allow the sell of more than 10 bullets at gun shops.

Tim Kaine supports President Obama’s executive actions that would have shielded as many as five million undocumented immigrants from deportation and allowed them to legally work in the United States. He has also advocated to allow those who are currently living in the counrty who are undocumented to gain legal residency instead of being deported.

Lead Image Credit: Carlos Barria via Reuters

E'Stevan Ashe - Georgia State University

E'Stevan Ashe will attend Georgia State University in Atlanta, Georgia beginning in August 2016. He is pursuing a dual degree in film and journalism while minoring in political science.