Display candace hill   asics 2 normal
by E'Stevan Ashe

Meet Candace Hill: The Fastest Girl In The World

By E'Stevan Ashe - Jun 26 2016

With the 2016 Rio Olympics nearly a month away, it should come as no surprise that many runners are going through final preparations to be as fast as possible. Some of the women attempting to qualify for this summer's Olympics have been training to reach this destination since Candace Hill was in elementary school. Last year Candace Hill broke the internet when she posted a 10.98 in the 100 meter dash when she was 16. Not only did that time make her the fastest girl in the world, it also would have won her a silver medal at the 2008 Olympics. 

Now Candace Hill is 17 years old and will face her toughest challenge yet: attempting to earn her a spot in Rio. Last year the 2016 Olympics couldn't have been further from her mind as she told CNN, "2020 was the year I would actually try and want to make the [U.S. Olympic] team. When my coach threw in 2016 I was like, maybe that's too early but you never know. I might show up and, you know, win. But it's hard to think about right now because I'm only a sophomore." 

Not only is Candace Hill a phenom on the track, she also is one in the classroom where she boasts a 4.6 GPA. Hill was the latest in a growing line of track and field athletes turning professional and choosing not to join their college athletic teams. Although she declined to run track in college, Hill was graced with a seven figure sponsorship deal from athletic apparel company Asics. That contract also includes a fully paid tuition to a college of her choice, which is unheard of in track and field.

Whether Candace Hill qualifies for the Olympics this summer or in four years, it will surely be an honor to watch history being made as she continues to reach the status of a phenomenon before she even receives her high school diploma.

Lead Image Credit: Candace Hill via Twitter

E'Stevan Ashe - Georgia State University

E'Stevan Ashe will attend Georgia State University in Atlanta, Georgia beginning in August 2016. He is pursuing a dual degree in film and journalism while minoring in political science.