Display 13529047 1084726381597907 2056277215449881684 n
by E'Stevan Ashe

A Latino Student Shuts Down Dentist Who Questioned His Stanford Admission

By E'Stevan Ashe - Jul 24 2016

Guillermo Pomarillo spent years working hard in the classroom to have a chance to attend a college like Stanford, but a recent visit to the dentist left him having to explain his admission in an open letter. 

Pomarillo is a first generation college student who told his story about his encounter with a dentist who questioned his admission to Stanford because of his low-income and ethnic background. 

"Today, I came into your office after leaving work early. Little did you know that I had to walk 1.5 miles to be able to make my appointment. My mother and father couldn't drive me because they were busy working. But, it was imperative for me to have my teeth cleaned before going to school," said Pomarillo via Facebook

After he explained how he worked hard enough to get into Stanford, the dentist then began berating Pomarillo about his ACT scores. 

"Wow you got (blank) on the ACT?! And you got into Stanford?" I was confused, I had always thought my ACT score wasn't too bad. I mean, I got admitted into many other schools other than Stanny. You then said, "Well my daughter got a 35 and she didn't get into Stanford. She goes to Umich." In my head I thought, "Wow that's great, UMich is a good school." But you didn't stop there, you kept going. You said, "Well when you have kids from neighborhoods like THESE, like you know, ENGLEWOOD. It's easy for them to get into Harvard or Stanford with a (states my score) ." In my mind, I was confused. Did he really just say that? But you didn't stop. You kept going. You said, "You know, when kids go to schools around here. (AKA public schools in minority neighborhoods) It's easier for them to get into schools like Stanford. My daughter goes to a school where like 20 kids get perfect ACT scores." I stayed quiet. He continued, "you're very lucky. 

It is clear that Pomarillo has worked extremely hard his 18 years of life, and is worthy of his admission to Stanford. It is not okay for a professional to harass someone over their background and attempt to belittle them. College admissions based on affirmative action policies have long been used to give diverse and low-income students the opportunity to reach their potential at prestigious universities. Stanford is one of the thousands of school's who support this decision.

Good luck to Guillermo at Stanford.

Lead Image: Guillermo Pomarillo via Facebook

E'Stevan Ashe - Georgia State University

E'Stevan Ashe will attend Georgia State University in Atlanta, Georgia beginning in August 2016. He is pursuing a dual degree in film and journalism while minoring in political science.