Display tweeet
by Dorine Tirogene

This Student Posted A Genius Thread of Scholarships for Community College and Transfer Students

By Dorine Tirogene - Sep 24 2017

Are you a community college or transfer student in need of scholarships? Well, good news! Taylor Vidmar, a student at Richland Community College, created the perfect thread for you.

"I know many students that choose a community college do so because they're much easier to finance than most four-year universities," Vidmar said. "However, many students also want to eventually transfer to a four-year, but some choose not to because it's too expensive. I made this thread because I want community college students to know there are transfer scholarships available. A four-year education shouldn't be available only to those who can afford it."

She explained that a lot of community college students aren't aware of the transfer scholarships available to them. 

"When community college students hear things like 'your credits will never transfer' or 'community college isn't real college,' they're less motivated to complete, or even initiate, the college transfer process," Vidmar said. "I hope making other community college students aware of all the scholarship opportunities there are available to us will dispel those stereotypes and encourage them to transfer to a four-year college or university."

Here are some of the resources Vidmar included in her thread:

1. Heads Up America

Headsupamerica.us

Heads Up America offers a $2,000 scholarship. All you have to do is create a one minute video on your community college story, post your video on Instagram with the hashtag #freecommunitycollegestory and follow Heads Up America on Instagram

2. Transfer Times

Transfer Times

This is a $6,000 scholarship contest offered by Transfer Times for part time and full time students wanting to transfer from a community college or technical college and enroll at a four-year college or university. To qualify, you must be currently enrolled at a two-year community college or technical college. Proof of this will be asked for when the student is chosen for the award. Students enrolled in dual high school/AA degree courses are not eligible. One entry per person per semester is permitted. You must complete and submit the form by December 21, 2017 to be eligible.

3. Hispanic Scholarship Fund

Hispanic Scholarship Fund

This scholarship is available to high school students, community college students and students transferring to a four-year college or university. Along with academic achievements, financial need and how the student has given back to their community will be considered. To qualify for this scholarship program you must be at least one quarter Hispanic/Latino. You can apply for the Hispanic scholarship fund here. For any further questions, you can visit their FAQ.

4. The Coca-Cola Scholarships Foundation

The Coca-Cola Scholarships Foundation

The Coca-Cola Scholarship Foundation recognizes high achieving two-year college students who demonstrate a great level of academic performance while handling extracurriculars and leadership responsibilities. For more information visit the Coca-Cola Community College Academic Team.

5. Jack Kent Cook Undergraduate Transfer Scholarship

Jack Kent Cook Undergraduate Transfer Scholarship

This scholarship for top community college students seeking to complete their bachelor's degrees by transferring to a selective four-year college or university. "The Foundation provides up to $40,000 per year to each of approximately 45 deserving students selected annually, making it the largest private scholarship for two-year and community college transfer students in the country," as stated on its site. The deadline to apply is October 24. For more information visit Jack Kent Cook Undergraduate Transfer Scholarship website.

For any community college or transfer students who weren't aware of these scholarships, hopefully you found this list of scholarships helpful.

Lead Credit Image: @taylorvidmar11 via Twitter

Dorine Tirogene -

Dorine is an English Major at Florida Atlantic University . She enjoys writing, music and films. Follow her on Twitter @D0rine_