by Dorine Tirogene

5 College Students React to ASOS Not Photoshopping Out a Model's Stretch Marks

By Dorine Tirogene - Jun 30 2017

When you pick up a magazine or scroll through the clothing store website most of the models you've seen are either blemish free or have glorious skin complexions. It seems that ASOS might be changing up the game. This British online fashion and beauty store has caught one online shopper's attention. 

In their beach wear and swimsuit section you will see a model wearing a Pull&Bear tie dye bikini showing off her stretchmarks. Since you rarely see this happens, I decide to speak to several college students to ask their opinions on what stretch marks means to them and if more fashion brands should normalize it.

1. Sciadone, Freshman, Biology Major, Broward College

"It’s natural to have them I mean some people feel insecure about it but you have to embrace it, it's just attached to them as a birthmark. Many people I know have explained how they used to be ashamed about their stretch marks and I think the fashion industry need more real-life photo publication."

2. Re'Nyqua Farrington, Sophomore, English Education Major, Nova Southeastern University

"Definitely, the fashion industry should allow models to show their bodies for how they're truly made. I used to think my stretch marks made me weird but it's so common and the fashion industry should work to normalize stretch marks."

3. Audre Wheeler, Freshman, Management of Musical Enterprises Major, Baruch College

“I've had stretch marks my entire life and I've only gotten more as a got older. I try to feel proud about them as if you know they're like proof of my time on Earth but I usually end up hating them and trying to get rid of them. It's hard to see them as beautiful when so many people tell you they aren't. I think it's totally a step in the right direction. I would love to see it even more on a plus sized model but I know that everything is a process. I think that if I saw more photos like these when I was younger, I would probably have a different opinion about stretch marks today."

4. Bre'Anna Grant, Journalism Major, Sophomore, St. John's University

"I think it's great that they didn't photoshop the model because young girls look at that and if they see smooth skin when the model actually has stretch marks, it affects their perception of natural beauty.

5. Tamiko Stroud, Double Major in Finance and English, Southern University Baton Rouge A&M College

“I see absolutely nothing wrong with stretch marks. I believe they are not unattractive, but the opposite. They are just things that appear when the body is showing time of growth. Women also tend to have them after a pregnancy, and those marks show great strength of a mother who gave birth. Overall, love stretch marks. The fashion industries are always using the fact that their models have raw and natural beauty; well there is nothing more RAW, nor more NATURAL than stretch marks. Other than just beauty, it shows strength, passion, and confidence. Using stretch marks in a photo provides more than what was asked for. My answer is that the fashion industry should DEFINITELY allow more models with stretch and many natural blemishes without having to hide them!”

We can all agree that ASOS is heading the right direction by not covering up the model's blemishes and we would like to see this more around the industry, I think it’s time that we normalize it, and from what I've heard from students, they're all for it.

Lead Image Credit: ASOS

Dorine Tirogene -

Dorine is an English Major at Florida Atlantic University . She enjoys writing, music and films. Follow her on Twitter @dori16__