When you're on a quest to find a good show or movie to watch, many of you consider genres such as comedy, romance, horror or thriller. If you ever decided to search for shows and movies that you want to learn from about our world and some of its controversial issues that take place, here are five shows and films you might want to consider watching.

1. The Fosters (2013)

creative commons

This American drama series speaks on issues about the foster care system, LGBTQ+ community, immigration and many more hot topics. This show covers events that many teens and adults can possibly be facing throughout their life. Each season,  I've learned how closely related the events that take place resemble certain injustices that take place in this world today. If you're looking for a show that explains real-life events with a bit of romance and drama, I recommend watching this show.

2. Vox explained (2018)

creative commons

Vox explained is usually around 13-28 minutes of documentaries explaining certain topics that are part of our everyday lives (i.e. social, cultural and racial topics). What makes this show great is the way they depict the topics and narrow them down to make it understandable for the audience and diligently get the point across. Every Wednesday they explain a different topic. This docuseries is a great way to learn about a variety of topics that are part of our lives.

3. Concussion (2015)

Creative Commons

Based on a true story, this film speaks about CTE brain degeneration suffered by professional football players. Dr. Bennet Omalu (played by Will Smith) is a forensic pathologist who fights against the NFL trying to suppress his research on CTE. Throughout the movie, he finds a way to present his findings and share it with the world. This movie is a real eye-opener. While we do enjoy a great game played by our favorite teams, this film comes to show the damage that can occur to the player while playing this well-loved American sport. 

4. Mind Hunter

creative commons

This American crime show focuses on psychological issues. FBI agents Holden Ford and Bill Tench attempt to catch serial killers by studying their damaged psyches, in hopes of applying this knowledge to other ongoing cases and crimes. If you're into psychological crime shows, this show will help you to understand the psychological issues that lead killers to commit a crime.

5. Fruitavle Station (2013)

creative commons

Fruitvale Station speaks of the racial injustices that take place in black communities. This autobiographical drama recollects the event that took place in 2009 that led police officer Johannes Mehserle, to shoot and kill a young African American man named Oscar Grant at the Fruitvale district station of the Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) system in Oakland. This situation is very similar to many issues that are happening currently. There are many African American men and women who are getting killed by the police and there isn't any justice that is taking place. This heartfelt film will have you questioning the circumstances taking place in our society.

6. Narcos (2015)

Creative Commons

This Netflix chronicle focuses on the cocaine trade that takes place in Colombia, started by the well-known drug lord, Pablo Escobar. Despite the show having several episodes being exaggerated for fictional purposes, it does depict the events on how cocaine came about and its rise in popularity in the 80s. You can learn how this drug had a huge impact on many communitiesAlso detailed in the show are the actions taken by law enforcement as they battle in the war on drugs, targeting notorious and powerful figures while many entities involved find themselves in conflict.

There are many relevant TV shows that touch on real-world problems. Be sure to keep an eye out for shows that talk about the significant issues that people of all kinds face everyday!