Display djt
by Diana Pope

What Happened During Trump's Third Week in Office

By Diana Pope - Feb 10 2017

During this past week, President Trump has clearly shown that he is planning to institute a series of new changes to the nation's agenda for transportation, education and women's healthcare. Many governors across the nation are satisfied with Trump's new plan to implement large improvements to the nation's infrastructure system. Yet, Betsy Devos' confirmation as Secretary of Education and Trump's failed refugee ban has received criticism from many notable politicians. If you're concerned about what happened this week in politics, Fresh U has you covered.

1. Betsy DeVos was Sworn into the Cabinet

This past Tuesday, DeVos was sworn in as Secretary of Education, even though she has almost no experience in public education. Mike Pence sent in the tie-breaking vote so that DeVos could finally be confirmed after a long series of Senate hearings. In the past, DeVos served on board of the Foundation for Excellence in Children and has donated millions of dollars to organizations that support conservative values. Many Democratic politicians were enraged at the final vote and believed that DeVos did not have the proper experience to be sworn into this esteemed position. Senator Al Franken spoke out against the unfairness of the nomination and asked why Senators did not set aside their party loyalty for the Senate confirmation hearings. 

2. Trump Sharply Criticizes Connecticut Senator 

Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) had a private meeting with Judge Neil Gorsuch this week to discuss Trump's recent attacks on judges. At this meeting, Gorsuch expressed his disgust with Trump's "abhorrent" comments towards federal judges. Over Twitter, Trump questioned the extent of Blumenthal's military service and brought up a past scandal where Blumenthal falsely stated that he had served in Vietnam. Many Senators, along with Richard Blumenthal, are appalled with Trump's attack on important judicial figures, since this is highly uncharacteristic of any past President. 

3. Trump Proposes Massive Infrastructure Plan

This past Thursday, Trump met with airline executives to push back regulations and decrease corporate taxes. The new President vows to improve all airports and trains in the country, and hopes to appease many Airline CEOs. The National Governors Association has forwarded a list of more than 400 new transportation projects to Trump's administration. Governors from both parties are proposing a host of new improvements to the nation's transportation, water, energy and emergency-response sectors. 

4. Trump's Travel Ban was Cancelled by the Federal Court 

Trump's travel ban on immigrants from 7 majority-Muslim countries failed to go through on Thursday when a three-judge panel rejected the federal appeal. Trial judges across the country have criticized Trump's travel ban, and Seattle Judge James L. Robart has blocked key parts of the travel order. The President reacted angrily to Judge Robart's ruling, and accused him of endangering "national security." 

5. Senator Jeff Sessions was confirmed as the next U.S. Attorney General. 

Former Attorney General of Alabama and Senator from Alabama Jeff Sessions was sworn in yesterday as the next U.S. Attorney General amidst another bitter Senate debate over his confirmation. Democrats are disappointed with Sessions' selection, as he has taken heat over the years for his failure to stand up for civil rights. Sessions is also known for his strong stance against illegal immigration, a path to citizenship and even legal immigration. You can learn more about Jeff Sessions here.

Overall, Trump's third week in office has been less tumultuous than the past two weeks of his Presidency. He has worked arduously with his administration to cease all overseas abortions and implement a better infrastructure plan. The White House has witnessed a series of unexpected changes in the domestic agenda since Trump's time in office. 

Lead Image Credit: Gage Skidmore via Flickr Creative Commons

Diana Pope - University of Tennessee Knoxville

Diana is a political science major who also enjoys journalism, history, and philosophy. She loves writing, researching, and debating about politics. In her free time, she enjoys Grey's anatomy marathons and reading detective fiction.