by Diana Pope

University of Richmond Student Has Decided to Publicize Details of Her Sexual Assault

By Diana Pope - Sep 17 2016

Due to the recent allegations against Brock Turner and his short sentence, many other sexual assault victims have stepped forward to raise awareness about their cases. CC Carreras, a student at the University of Richmond, has decided to publish the receipts from her sexual assault case. 

It was a bold move, but Carreras is quite aware of how she was denied proper justice from administrators at the university. She had to go through  the process of a ten hour hearing, a 93 page appeal, and nine no contact violations with the student who raped her. The accused rapist still remains on campus and involved with athletics. 

After a campus administrator told Barreras that "it was reasonable for him to perpetrate [her] for a few minutes if he was going to finish", she has decided to publish an account of her case in the Huffington Post Contributor Network. Since then, she has spoken with attorneys from the U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil rights and is waiting for a decision about whether the case will be re-opened or not. 

The university and its Title IX office have not commented on the publicized report from Carreras. The institution is currently under investigation for a whole consortium of potential violations of federal law related to Title IX violations. Beth Curry, the former coordinator of campus education, has left her job after fears about her job security at the university. 

Since Carreras has come forward, her case has received more support and is inspiring various students to share their stories. Carreras has stated that she does not regret coming forward, and told her campus newspaper that she just wants someone at the institution to issue her an apology. 

Carreras's courage should be quite inspiring to all college students across the country. Maybe her determination to receive proper justice will inspire all sexual assault victims to step forward and publicize their cases. 

CC Carreras, a student at the University of Richmond

Lead Image Credit: Oleg Brovko

Diana Pope - University of Tennessee Knoxville

Diana is a political science major who also enjoys journalism, history, and philosophy. She loves writing, researching, and debating about politics. In her free time, she enjoys Grey's anatomy marathons and reading detective fiction.