Display 53058  mg 0508f
by Diana Pope

Students Cover the Campus of UPenn with Flyers in Protest of Emails Advertising College Party

By Diana Pope - Sep 08 2016

This Tuesday, students woke up at University of Pennsylvania to find their campus covered with flyers spouting the phrases, "THIS IS WHAT RAPE CULTURE LOOKS LIKE" and "WE ARE WATCHING". These flyers were protesting an email sent to female students advertising a popular college party, the Daily Pennsylvanian reports. 

The flyers included the email with the lines "May we have your attention/ We are looking for the fun ones..." and "Wednesday nights will get you going... So please wear something tight". Students were outraged when they received this email from an off campus organization called OZ. 

The Daily Pennsylvanian

University of Pennsylvania has faced many dilemmas with the rampant rape culture on school grounds. One in four women on campus have reported being victims of sexual assaults.

The upperclassmen who distributed the flyers wanted to send the message to freshman that they don't have to give in to rapist culture they're thrown into. Overall, nearly 600 flyers were distributed around the campus of UPenn. The group protesting the email wanted to "troll" the account, but decided to publicly shame the email account and let the community know about it. 

The Daily Pennsylvanian

The InterFraternity Council President David Moore has publicly stated that the group who sent out the misogynistic emails is not affiliated with the university or the fraternities on campus. The University itself has also denounced the email and has said that this type of sexual harassment will not be tolerated on campus. 

Thankfully, students at this university are making steps towards changing the attitudes towards rape culture on campus. It's simply inexcusable that freshmen are still being the victims of sexual harassment and assault at one of the top universities in the nation, and across the country. 

Lead Image Credit: Carson Kahoe via The Daily Pennsylvanian 

Diana Pope - University of Tennessee Knoxville

Diana is a political science major who also enjoys journalism, history, and philosophy. She loves writing, researching, and debating about politics. In her free time, she enjoys Grey's anatomy marathons and reading detective fiction.