Display 29873812016 525f8d4851 z
by Diana Pope

Penn State Kicker Reveals Details About His Eating Disorder

By Diana Pope - Oct 06 2016

Joey Julius, a 258-pound kicker on the football team for Pennsylvania State University, has opened up about his eating disorder. According to USA today, the football player has revealed that he suffers from binge-eating disorder, along with the effects of anxiety and depression. 

This football player has become a fan favorite among college students in the United States for his massive size and impressive field goals. Julius' size has been a topic of conversation since the beginning of the 2016 football season. In addition, he has been able to deliver two huge hits on kickoffs against Kent State University and University of Michigan. This season, he has been able to score 19 touchdowns. 

Zach Hobson via Twitter

Julius announced details about his mental health problems on Facebook, and publicized how he will take an absence from the team in the coming months. He became certain about his problems with binge eating disorder after three months of treatment in a St. Louis hospital this summer:

Throughout this whole process I learned a lot about myself. I learned that for the last 11 years of my life I have suffered through a disorder known as binge eating disorder. Although I showed signs of bulimia through stints of purging from extreme anxiety placed on myself, I am certain that binge eating disorder is my true diagnosis through extensive care this summer for about three months of treatment in St. Louis, Missouri until July 26th.
Joey Julius via Facebook

Julius's mental health problems are emblematic of a growing health problem among athletes. Both male and female athletes are two to three times more likely to suffer from an eating disorder.

He went on to say that he would support anyone who was suffering from similar issues, and said that he can provide "information or insight" from his own experiences. Julius also proceeded to thank his coaches and staff members for helping him through the whole process of dealing with a binge eating disorder. 

Joey Julius with teammate Tyler Davis

Julius's story has inspired more college students and football players to come out about their issues with eating disorders. His story has proved how eating disorders are a health concern that need to be addressed more among college students in the future. 

Lead Image Credit: MGoBlog via Flickr Creative Commons

Diana Pope - University of Tennessee Knoxville

Diana is a political science major who also enjoys journalism, history, and philosophy. She loves writing, researching, and debating about politics. In her free time, she enjoys Grey's anatomy marathons and reading detective fiction.