Display udfratparty
by Diana Pope

Nearly 200 Fraternity Members Were Charged For Underage Drinking

By Diana Pope - Sep 22 2016

Over the weekend, 180 students at the University of Delaware were charged with underage drinking at a fraternity party, according to the NY Post.

The party was hosted at a brick fraternity house in Newark, Delaware. Police entered the lawn of the house, and noticed that alcohol was being freely distributed to the guests. Most of the people drinking were younger than 21.

Police Lt. Bill Hargrove has stated that the hosts of the party are likely going to face additional charges. One person inside the fraternity house was found to be unresponsive and was taken to Christiana Hospital for alcohol overdose.

The fraternity house was associated with the unsanctioned group called APES. This fraternity is home to former members of the Alpha Epsilon Pi group. Last April, this fraternity was suspended due to violations regarding hazing.

University of Delaware

All of the students who were arrested at the party were referred to the Office of Student Conduct. The Newark Police Department coordinated with the University of Delaware, Middletown, state troopers and the Delaware Alcohol and Tobacco Enforcement to make these arrests.

This unfortunate incident serves as a clear warning to all college freshmen across the country. Sometimes it's good to stay away from the fraternity parties; always be safe.

Lead Image Credit: The News Journal

Diana Pope - University of Tennessee Knoxville

Diana is a political science major who also enjoys journalism, history, and philosophy. She loves writing, researching, and debating about politics. In her free time, she enjoys Grey's anatomy marathons and reading detective fiction.