Display ninad
by Diana Pope

Meet Nina Donovan, A College Poet Who Has Already Made An Extraordinary Impact

By Diana Pope - Jan 28 2017

On the outside, Nina Donovan may seem like an ordinary college student from Franklin, TN; however, her gifted talent with words made a huge mark at a recent women's march. Donovan's poem, "Nasty Woman", was read aloud by Ashley Judd, a famous actress, at the Women's March on Washington. Since then, the performance of her poem has gone viral across social media. 

Reflect via Youtube

Donovan first performed the poem on December 10th, 2016 at the "State of the Word Competition" at Vanderbilt University. She has performed slam poetry at dozens of Spoken Word competitions throughout her lifetime. 

She first wrote the poem after Donald Trump called Hillary Clinton a "nasty woman" during one of the Presidential debates. She was enraged at his inappropriate comment, and immediately started writing the first line on her phone: "I'm a NAASTY WOMAN". From there, Donovan says that she researched the issues that had been popping up during the campaign: 

...As I dug deeper into the issues I was discussing, I got more heated and passionate and I couldn't stop writing. I wanted people like me, who have been a victim of some of these social issues, to know that there is so much hope left in this world and there are so many people fighting with/for us. our voices are being heard and we will change the world, and reach equality one day.

She even remarks that he looks like "he bathes in Cheeto dust" and that she is "not as nasty as racism, fraud, conflict of interest, homophobia, sexual assault, transphobia, white supremacy, misogyny, ignorance, white privilege.”

Donovan is still awed that Ashley Judd decided to perform the piece at the Women's March. She said that she was streaming the performance as she was participating in the Nashville March:

I was actually streaming her performace as I was walking to meet some friends at the Nashville March, and I was absolutely on cloud 9! I still am. It all [feels] like such a dream and such a honor! I can proudly say that Ashley has become a friend of mine... she truly is one of the most beautiful, humble, and inspirational people I have EVER met. I will forever cherish her kindness and her support and I owe her my life. 

This young poet and college student clearly sent a message to Donald Trump about his treatment of women. It's amazing to witness the impact that Donovan's words have held on the feminist movement. If you'd like to watch more of her poetry, here's the link for her Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ninamariahpoetry/

Lead Image Credit: @NinaMariahPoetry via Facebook

Diana Pope - University of Tennessee Knoxville

Diana is a political science major who also enjoys journalism, history, and philosophy. She loves writing, researching, and debating about politics. In her free time, she enjoys Grey's anatomy marathons and reading detective fiction.