Display 2933065540 dba2219089 z
by Diana Pope

Important Protests To Know About Occurring Around the Presidential Inauguration

By Diana Pope - Jan 03 2017

The future inauguration of Donald Trump has spurred many protesters and demonstrators into action. All across the country, organizers are planning marches in honor of civil rights, minorities, feminism, anti-war movements, LGBTQ+ protection, etc. Protests will occur in nearly every major city as individuals voice their dissent against Donald Trump's rhetoric and values. Fresh U made a list of the most important protests you can follow:

January 14th: "We Shall Not be Moved" Civil Rights March in D.C.

In celebration of Martin Luther King Jr. Day, civil rights protesters will organize at the National Mall in Washington, D.C. to protest against Donald Trump. This protest will start at 9 AM in the National Sylvan Theater, and demonstrators will march towards West Potomac Park. This march aims to send a clear message to Congress to consider upcoming civil rights legislation, protect ObamaCare and honor the legacy of Martin Luther King Jr.

PC: The March 2017 via Facebook

January 20th: Trump Tower Protest in Chicago

After the inauguration, protesters are gathering at the base of the Trump Tower in Chicago and plan to stage a nonviolent demonstration against the inauguration of Donald Trump. Over 6,000 people plan to attend this stationary protest. 

PC: Paola Rosa via Flickr Creative Commons

January 20th: "Silent Inauguration" Protest in Nashville, TN

In Nashville, organizers are planning to host a "silent protest" while Donald Trump is being inaugurated. Nearly 2,000 individuals plan to attend this event, and will go silent for 15 minutes at Centennial Park in protest of the inauguration. Similar protests are also occurring in Fredericksburg, VA and New York City. 

Centennial Park in Nashville, PC: Stephen Yearn via Flickr Creative Commons

January 20th: Answer Coalition Protest in Washington, D.C.

Answer Coalition is a historic organization that aims to protest the possibility of war and racial inequality. On January 20th, this organization plans to host a demonstration at 7 AM in Washington D.C. to protest the inauguration of Donald Trump. Over 10,000 people plan to attend this massive march to stand against militarism, racism, anti-immigrant scapegoating and poor working standards. 

PC: Answer Coalition via Facebook

January 21st: Women's March on D.C. and Philadelphia  

The Women's March in D.C. is a basic human rights protest to demonstrate against the president-elect and his values. Protesters will march from the Lincoln Memorial to the White House in support of women's rights and targeted minorities. Even though this is a women's march, it is all-inclusive and is aimed at giving a voice to the LGBTQ+ community, people of color, immigrants and Muslims. Over 20,000 people plan to attend this massive march. In addition, the Women's March in Philadelphia is coordinated with the national march in D.C., and will start at Logan Square at 10 am. 

Lincoln Memorial, Daniel Mennerich via Flickr Creative Commons

If you still want to attend a protest because these events are not close to you, you can still find an inauguration protest in your home city using a quick Google or Facebook search. This is an important time in history for political activism and involvement in protests, demonstrations and marches. 

Lead Image Credit: thisisbossi via Flickr Creative Commons

Diana Pope - University of Tennessee Knoxville

Diana is a political science major who also enjoys journalism, history, and philosophy. She loves writing, researching, and debating about politics. In her free time, she enjoys Grey's anatomy marathons and reading detective fiction.