Display 35753324836 b6cec80b5b z
by Diana Pope

Five Things College Students Must Know About in International News in the Past Weeks

By Diana Pope - Jul 15 2017

The Trump Administration has undertaken a host of risky actions in the international community within the last few weeks. In particular, these have included America's withdrawal from the Paris Accords at G-20; Trump's meeting with Putin, which has sparked worldwide controversy; Trump's travel ban finally going into effect; Tillerson's negotiations in Middle East; and new research about decreasing international student enrollment at major colleges and universities in the United States. If you missed what happened in global news this week, Fresh U has you covered: 

1. Trump Announces Withdrawal from Paris Climate Deal at "G-19"

At the G-20 Summit, Trump conducted his own "meetings on the sidelines" with other world leaders. He met with Putin and several international business partners to discuss commercial transactions with the United States. Later, after strongly dissenting against the Paris Climate Agreement, Trump decided to withdraw from this climate plan.  Leaders from Great Britain, France, Germany, Russia, and China are mockingly calling the international summit "G-19" after the United States' lack of commitment to the environmental protection agreements.  Not only were American citizens concerned about Trump's withdrawal from the Paris Accords, but they also criticized Ivanka's decision to take her father's spot at the global meeting. Photos emerged showing Ivanka sitting next to world leaders, including British prime minister Theresa May and Chinese President Xi Jinping. 

2. Trump Discussed Sanctions with Putin

Sarah Huckabee Sanders, Deputy White House Press Secretary, stated that Trump discussed previous sanction attempts against the Russian government in his meeting with Putin. Even though Trump denied any discussion of Russian sanctions, other American officials confirmed that he had discussed previous negotiations by the Obama Administration to address Russian collusion with the U.S. government during the 2016 election. Sanders also noted that Trump talked with Putin about international issues concerning Ukraine, North Korea, and Syria

3. Travel Ban Goes into Effect and Faces Various Court Challenges 

On June 29th, Trump's travel ban finally passed all judicial barriers and went into effect in the United States. However, anyone with a "bona fide" relationship within the United States could be exempted from Trump's executive order; meaning that travel ban does not apply to anyone who has "close family" in America. The state of Hawaii issued a court challenge against the travel ban, and objected to Trump's narrow definition of a bona fide relationship. On top of this, international college students are incredibly distressed about the ramifications of Trump's decision. In Lousiana, state authorities project that nearly 200 students will be negatively impacted by the travel ban, and may be forced to transfer abroad. 

4. Tillerson Tries to Negotiate with Kuwait and Qatar

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson arrived in Kuwait this past week to settle disputes between Qatar and various Arab countries. He plans to make a trip to Kuwait, Qatar, and Saudi Arabia to address mounting issues in the region after a recent announcement of Qatar's relationship with terrorist organizations. Major trade routes are currently closed because several countries are trying to impose punishment against Qatar for its decisions in the media. 

5. American Colleges Notice Sharp Decline in International Enrollment

This past Thursday, new research documented a sharp decline in international student enrollment across the United States; the enrollment rate for international undergraduates dropped from 26 percent to 24 percent. Nearly 4 in 10 colleges witnessed a decline in international student enrollment for the 2016-2017 college application season. Southern undergraduate institutions reported the largest decrease in international student enrollment; rates dropped as much as 13 percent. 

All in all, there has been a flurry of international events that have sparked attention from politicians and American citizens. In particular, Trump's actions at the G-20 Summit generated concerns from international leaders who are highly concerned about making business transactions with the United States in the future.  With a president as controversial as our current one, each week in international and domestic affairs proves to be newsworthy; it is important for college students to always pay attention to current events. 

Lead Image Credit: Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Poland via Flickr Creative Commons

Diana Pope - University of Tennessee Knoxville

Diana is a political science major who also enjoys journalism, history, and philosophy. She loves writing, researching, and debating about politics. In her free time, she enjoys Grey's anatomy marathons and reading detective fiction.