Display screenshot 2016 11 21 22.47.02
by Diana Pope

College Students are Joining a Creative Movement to Protect Immigrants

By Diana Pope - Nov 23 2016

This past week, the anti-Trump protests have been gaining momentum at various educational institutions across the country. Protesters are angered that the new President-elect has the potential to violate the rights of certain minorities in America. One organization, "Movimiento Cosecha," is taking action to protect undocumented immigrants, and is empowering students from over 100 colleges to provide sanctuary support to  students on college campuses. 

As part of this growing movement, students are asking their institutions to protect all immigrants' information from the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). In addition, this organization is also requesting that all colleges should actively prevent immigration officers from entering school grounds. The director of the Undocumented Legal Services Center has declared that supporters of sanctuary support do not have superfluous demands, and that they are asking for "some really doable things." 

Vanderbilt University has been one of the pioneers for sanctuary support. Representatives from the divinity school on campus staged a sit-in outside a university official's office to request support for the movement's list of demands. These students hope to support all individuals who are "scapegoated by Trump," and "will not let Trump or his white supremacist appointees separate [them]." 

Flyer at Vanderbilt for #SanctuaryCampus

At University of California San Diego, hundreds of students and faculty members signed a letter to the university president to designate the institution as a sanctuary campus. This letter was signed by over 1400 individuals and included a list of nine steps to make the college a safe haven for undocumented immigrants. 

Ivy league students are also demanding support for this movement as well. Faculty members and students at Harvard, Yale, Columbia and Brown have also called for designation of their institutions as "sanctuary campuses." Last Monday, over 4,000 individuals presented a list of demands to Harvard University to protect all undocumented immigrants on campus. Students at Yale University walked out of classes and posted hundreds of flyers to raise awareness about the movement. 

Movimento Cosecha hopes that sanctuary campuses will allow universities to develop protocol to protect all students against discrimination, racism, violence and deportation. This movement plans to host more walk-outs and marches to send a clear message to the president-elect in the future. So far, this movement has allowed students to voice concerns after this year's elections and protect each other in the midst of political turmoil. Sanctuary campuses are an effective way for students to  support minorities and take action against Trump in a safe manner. 

Lead Image Credit: NJTV News via Youtube

Diana Pope - University of Tennessee Knoxville

Diana is a political science major who also enjoys journalism, history, and philosophy. She loves writing, researching, and debating about politics. In her free time, she enjoys Grey's anatomy marathons and reading detective fiction.