Display chase arthur hughes final 1474382683265 2037063 ver1.0 640 360
by Diana Pope

College Student Arrested for Hacking into Computers And Changing Grades

By Diana Pope - Sep 30 2016

It's amazing how far students will go to compete with other peers in the classroom. One student at Kennesaw State University is currently facing felony charges for trying to change his grades. Chase Arthur Hughes was arrested at Kennesaw State University last week after he allegedly hacked into his school computers to change the system's information, according to Naked Security.

Hughes used a professor's account to access sensitive information, including employment, credit, and medical records. He allegedly scribbled down usernames and passwords of at least 36 faculty members.  

Hughes has been accused of changing not only his own grades, but also the grades of students in two other classes. 

In some cases, Hughes changed the grades of students from an "F" to an "A" in a particular class. 

A University professor was able to catch Hughes when he received an alert from the computer system about a grade change that he didn't make. He alerted the school officials, who reported the incident to the police. 

In the future, Kennesaw State University plans to add more measures that will detect unauthorized access in the computer system. 

Hughes is now facing charges of computer trespassing, computer invasion of privacy, and computer forgery. Hughes was formerly a business major with a concentration in finance, and was enrolled in the university from Fall 2015 to Summer 2016. 

Hughes may end up facing 15 years of prison. His punishment serves a clear warning to college students elsewhere who want to take an easy shortcut to get the grade. 

Lead Image Credit: Cobb County Police Department

Diana Pope - University of Tennessee Knoxville

Diana is a political science major who also enjoys journalism, history, and philosophy. She loves writing, researching, and debating about politics. In her free time, she enjoys Grey's anatomy marathons and reading detective fiction.