Display 517077576 49ce5f1362 z
by Diana Pope

Bill O'Reilly Faces Backlash with Sexual Harassment Case

By Diana Pope - Apr 08 2017

The media has recently uncovered that Bill O'Reilly has been the subject of various sexual harassment claims over the past 15 years. At least 11 advertisers have boycotted his popular show on Fox News due to reports that the network had settled complaints by five women who worked with O'Reilly. Hyundai, BMW and Allstate Insurance are just a few of the companies who have publicly boycotted Fox News. 

Juliet Huddy, an employee at the news network, has publicly come forth with accusations against Bill O'Reilly in the past year. She claims that O'Reilly tried to derail her career when she rejected his sexual advances. Huddy also admitted that Fox News paid her to hide any sexual harassment allegations. 

O'Reilly has been a prominent figure on the network for several years and has generated millions of dollars in advertising profits. Many lower-level employees and program hosts viewed him as an influential figure in the newsroom. 

However, O'Reilly has dealt with other sexual allegations as well in the past. Andrea Mackris, a producer on his show, sued him after he made lewd comments in a series of phone calls and dinner conversations. 

Even though O'Reilly has faced a host of sexual harassment allegations, Trump has ardently defended this popular news personality. The President stated that O'Reilly "was a person I know well — he is a good person" and believes that he didn't truly do anything wrong. Fox News is still airing O'Reilly's show despite the growing list of sexual harassment allegations. 

April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month, and Bill O'Reilly has proven how sexual harassment is still a threat to women who work in journalism and the media. America needs to make more strides towards stopping sexual harassment at home and in the workplace. Hopefully, things will change and sexual harassment will no longer be a risk for women who pursue professional careers in the future.  

Lead Image Credit: via Flickr Creative Commons

Diana Pope - University of Tennessee Knoxville

Diana is a political science major who also enjoys journalism, history, and philosophy. She loves writing, researching, and debating about politics. In her free time, she enjoys Grey's anatomy marathons and reading detective fiction.