Display screen shot 2016 09 29 at 10 09 11 am1
by Diana Pope

Albright College Students Create Racist Snapchat To Mock The BLM Movement

By Diana Pope - Oct 03 2016

Albright College is actively condemning an online video posted by two students due to highly racist material. According to The Daily Mail, a student posted a racist video to Snapchat this past Tuesday. The student appeared in a mud mask with makeup smeared all over her face, and referred to herself as "Carlisha." 

The Daily Mail

In the video, she is seen dancing around with padding in her pants to make her butt look bigger before screaming, "Black lives matter now, okay? F*** white people!"

Both the girl and another student behind the camera are heard to be laughing as the video continues to play. 

Albright Sophomores Carla Dickinson and Octavia Hike created this video to mock the Black Lives Matter Movement. The College's President said the school unequivocally condemns the video, and has said that the students voluntarily came forward and have expressed "deep remorse about the incident." The college released a statement this past Thursday stating that the video was unacceptable and that the institution will not tolerate any behavior like this from any student: 

"We unequivocally condemn the behavior in the video. It is unacceptable by any member of our community and in no way represents the values of Albright. The College celebrates and takes great pride in its diversity. With a freshman class that self-identifies as almost 50% racially or ethnically diverse, and an undergraduate student body that is more than 40% diverse, we were recently recognized by U.S. News & World Report as one of the most diverse institutions in the country."

Many Albright students have come forward to openly criticize the videos. Albright student Casual Owens-Fields wrote about the incident in a BuzzFeed community post, and shared that she found the video to be highly demeaning. Albright senior Niani Marz noted that she was "floored" when she saw the video with the student wearing the Albright College t-shirt.

It's saddening to learn that these blackface incidents are becoming more common across college campuses. However, college students everywhere can gain a clear lesson from the mistakes of these Albright students - blackface is literally never OK, even if you think you're joking on a personal snap story. 

Lead Image Credit: HBCU Roundtable

Diana Pope - University of Tennessee Knoxville

Diana is a political science major who also enjoys journalism, history, and philosophy. She loves writing, researching, and debating about politics. In her free time, she enjoys Grey's anatomy marathons and reading detective fiction.