Display sub buzz 16928 1474485460 1
by Diana Pope

A College Student Publicizes her Experience of Going to College with Her Mom

By Diana Pope - Sep 25 2016

Kitty Murray and her mom have a different mother-daughter relationship than most households. This year, Kitty Murray and her mom will be attending college at the same time. To take advantage of this, Kitty has decided to document her mom's experience of attending college.

Kitty's mom went to school for accounting two decades ago when Kitty was a toddler. Now, her mom is going back to the same school that Kitty is currently attending. Her mom will be enrolling in a program to pursue studies in web design.

Brenda Murray was accepted to Lake Superior State University in her hometown of Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan where Kitty is starting her senior year of college. 

On Tumblr, Kitty has been documenting her mom's experience of becoming a college student again. She has made posts about her mom's stereotypical preppy school supplies.

She even made a post detailing the experience of being in the same web design class as her mom. Even though this experience may be odd to other college students, Kitty has said that everyone in the class has been really supportive of her mom. 

Kitty's mom even hangs out at her dorm and eats with her between classes. They see each other often because they are pursuing the same degree in accounting.

Even though most college students don't want to see their parents when they head off to college, this mother-daughter relationship has grown stronger due to the shared experience of facing school at the same time. This is truly a strange, yet interesting way that parents can bond with their college students. Congrats to Kitty and her mom!

Lead Image Credit: Brenda Murray

Diana Pope - University of Tennessee Knoxville

Diana is a political science major who also enjoys journalism, history, and philosophy. She loves writing, researching, and debating about politics. In her free time, she enjoys Grey's anatomy marathons and reading detective fiction.