Display box 2953722 1280
by Devon Fenesy

6 Low Budget Items to Gift to Your Roommate

By Devon Fenesy - Dec 10 2017

It's the holidays! Time for too much food, freezing weather and lots of presents. The only problem is that many of the festivities of the holidays come with a cost. Here are six low-budget items to celebrate the season with your roommate or a close friend to bring them some holiday cheer!

1. Movie Gift Package

Having a fun movie night with a few friends is fun, but munching on popcorn and candy while watching a great movie is a memory that will last! It's super cute and creative, yet not too pricey and super easy to put together. 

2. Slipper and Spa Set

Photo Credit: Amazon

After a long day, putting on some sweet-smelling lotion and cozy slippers will mean the world to your roommate. Who doesn't love feeling right at home in the comfort of fuzzy slides? Slippers are typically cheap and lotions vary from inexpensive to very high-end.  

3. Succulent Plant

Photo Credit: Pixabay

Succulents are extremely cute and often cheap. They are easy to take care of, and a very trendy item that most would love to receive. Spice up the succulent by tying a festive ribbon around it, or get fancy and jazz up the jar using some glue and glitter.

4. Snowman Hot Cocoa 

Photo Credit:

These are creative as well as quick and simple to create. Buy some marshmallows, cocoa mix and peppermint and enjoy some cocoa with your roommate or your friends. Although you don't have to turn the mix into a snowman, it is highly recommended. 

5. Personalized Water Bottle

Photo Credit: Etsy

Everyone has to drink water and making a personalized water bottle for your roommate lets them know you are thinking about them. Water bottles like the ones pictured are affordable and putting their name on it instantly makes it unique to them. 

6. Gift Coupons 

Photo Credit: Pixabay

If none of these ideas work, make some coupons and stick them in a card. A few coupons like "one time to clean your desk," "one time to take out the trash" or "one back massage" will show you're willing to help them out this holiday season. It's so simple, but your roommate will really value the effort. 

At the end of the day, the holidays are about spending time with the people you love and appreciate. Giving gifts, even small ones, show those that you're thinking about them and care about them. Have a great break and happy holidays!

Devon Fenesy - American University