When you get into college, it is required for students, no matter what major you are, that you have to take a writing class known as ENG 101. Depending on the professor that you have, you will either have a good time in that class improving your writing and editing skills, or you won't have a great time and stress will overtake you. Well, I'm here to tell you no matter the professor, you will survive this class.

ENG 101 is not the hardest class, but it will test your writing abilities dealing with quality and quantity. 

Quality means how well you articulate yourself with the content you have to work with and quantity, meaning that you can get your point across with the limit that you have to write the assignment. This is something that you should keep in mind whenever you write a paper, no matter what class it is for.

Have a handle on time management skills. 

It is very easy to procrastinate on a paper until the very last minute when it's 11:59 p.m. and you just write the very first thing that comes to your head that sounds like it makes sense. Yet it doesn't fully go along with the prompt that was given to you by your professor.  My tip for this issue is to make an outline so you know what goes in the introduction, what is going in your body paragraphs and what you plan to put into your conclusion.

Write or attempt to write the paper. 

Even if you set aside time to write, actually write. If you are going to listen to music, I recommend instrumentals because sometimes if you listen to the song with lyrics, you are most likely to sing along. Instrumentals are a good way to concentrate on the topic at hand. If your dorm is too loud because of your roommate, either go to the library or work in the lounge of the residence hall that you live in.

Get comments back from your professor on a draft of one of your papers.

If you don't understand what your professor means, ask them. Students are ashamed or nervous to ask for help when they don't understand, so they start to assume that this is what the teachers mean. It is okay to ask your professor to reiterate what they mean and your professor is likely to either talk to you after class or schedule an appointment with you to talk more in-depth on the topic.

I wouldn't say ENG 101 is the easiest course, but it can be if you reach out to your peers or professors to look over your work before you turn it in for a grade. Most to all colleges should have a Writing Center where the college has provided tutors to look over your work content-wise and grammar wise.  I personally use the Writing Center a lot and it is not as scary as people make it out to be.

Enjoy this class because, in the long run, it is a very helpful course that will improve your writing and editing skills.

Lead Image Credit:  Unsplash