Display music
by Destiny Abercrumbie

Here's Why I Gave KPOP A Chance

By Destiny Abercrumbie - Jul 10 2016

I know what you're thinking: "How are you giving this type of music a chance when you have no idea what in the world they are even saying?" The thing is, it's different from the music that I hear today like rap, R&B, hip hop, etc. KPOP, or Korean pop, is a musical genre that originates in South Korea that is characterized by a wide variety of audiovisual elements. KPOP is known to be insanely fun and addicting. It is a broad genre by definition and it manages to contain artists that range from ballad singers (like Davichi) to singer-songwriters (Lim Kim), adorable girl groups (A-Pink) to sexy and empowered women (G.NA), full bands (CNBLUE) to faux bands (AOA Black) and flower boys (B1A4) to hip hop (LeeSSang). The more basic definition of KPOP is Korean artists whose music is extremely popular. Despite the fact that the songs are in Korean, and sometimes Chinese or Japanese, most or all of the songs you can look up have English lyrics, so you can read to see what they are saying.

I got into KPOP when my friend Emily was showing me EXO, one of the greatest all male KPOP groups.  She wanted me to remember their faces since all she showed me was their music videos. Then she was introducing me to more groups until she finally decided to give me a list of groups I should listen to. After listening to a couple of songs, I somehow got sucked into the fandom and it became a huge part of my life. Listening to their music wasn't the only way I got sucked in, it was also by watching their live performances, interviews and even some of their TV appearances. I haven't been to any of my favorite groups' concert yet, but that is on my bucket list before I turn 30.

You know when you listen to that one song and it becomes stuck in your head for either being too catchy or it has an amazing beat? Well, that's how I got into it. Listening to music that has not been made in your home country, in my opinion, is cool. You can probably pick up on words so you can learn what they mean in English.  Also, if you ever wanted to learn Korean, listening to their music can help somewhat. Even now, I can pronounce some of the words to some KPOP songs I really like, but it came with practice.

Lastly, on how I got into KPOP... You know when you watch your favorite show or read your favorite book and you develop an attraction for a character? Well, this is just one of the major ways you get sucked up into the fandom if you find a member in the group to be very attractive. If this happens, let's just say that you are going to be a part of the fan club for the group.

Just because something is different, doesn't mean you shouldn't try it out to see if you like it or not. Walt Disney said, "We keep moving forward, opening new doors and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." So open your door and try to listen to KPOP and hopefully you will love it as much as I do. For people who read this and actually want to give it a chance, here's a few groups that I listened to when I first started getting into them: EXO (even when there was 12 members, not just 9), SHINee, SNSD A.K.A. "Girls' Generation," BTS, GOT7, F(x), A-Pink, CNBLUE and Seventeen. I hope that listening to KPOP will be on your summer bucket list.

Lead Image Credit: Radek Grzybowski via Unsplash

Destiny Abercrumbie - Bradley University

Hi, everyone! My name is Destiny Abercrumbie, not Abercrombie & Fitch, and I'm a student at Bradley University. My major is English Creative Writing with a minor in Social Media Marketing. I have been writing since I was in second grade, but it didn't become a hobby until fifth grade. Feel free to follow me on Instagram @rhosepoodle