Display maxresdefault
by Destiny Abercrumbie

5 Reasons People Should Give Anime A Chance

By Destiny Abercrumbie - Jun 28 2016

Anime is something different people of any age can give a chance. Anime is a style of Japanese film and television animation that is typically aimed for adults and children. It's the opposite of what some cartoons are like such as Spongebob, Tom & Jerry, The Looney Tunes, etc. You can't just base what you know off of what the commonly known anime that is basically action and fighting, there's more to it then what some average people will know.

1. It's Been Around For Many Years

soldier-of-love-and-justice.tumblr.com

Anime just didn't start in the early 1990's, but actually started even earlier then that. "Imokawa Mukuzo Genkanban no Maki" is considered to be the first professional anime film that was created by Ōten Shimokawa in 1917. The mainstream production of anime began during World War II called "Momotarō: Umi no Shinpei" in the year 1945 as a propaganda film is the first anime feature-length film. Years later, people like Akira Toriyama, Rumiko Takashi, Hayao Miyazaki, Isao Takahata and many others joined the anime world, but as manga artists. Anime and manga have been around for years and they are still popular in the following generation and many more.

2. It Doesn't Target One Audience

sashasblog.tumblr.com

Unlike the cartoons that are out right now that only captures children at least 14 and younger, anime is for all ages.  You can never be too old or too young for anime because it's meant to be for all ages. There are so many different genres of anime that's out there---there's something for everyone.

3. Anime is Not Just About Fighting

wesharepics.info

I know when anime is being presented in TV, you see things like Dragon Ball Z, Inuyasha, Bleach, Cowboy Beebop, Fairy Tale and One Piece, right? But there is more to anime then just that. There's romance, drama, sports, horror, gore, history, education, suspense, etc. It's all about finding the right one for you. When you start to look for anime you will find a lot of action and fighting anime, but that's not a hard search. There are many websites like Crunchyroll, Kissanime, Funimation and much more where you can search up anime to your liking, even if some of the names are in Japanese.

4. You Can Read It

sin--url.tumblr.com

The beauty of anime is that majority or all of the time there is a manga that is also made with the show. A manga is a style of Japanese comic books and graphic novel. Manga is sometimes done before the show is over depending on how long the anime is. Like with Naruto, I know the manga is finished while the show is still going.  Same with One Piece and Fairy Tale, except both the anime and manga is still going on. If it takes too long for an episode to come out,  I recommend you the read the manga. Manga are typically ahead of the show so if you can't wait to see what happens next, go on a manga reader website and get started.

5. You Might Learn Something

reddit.com

With anime usually taking place in Japan, there are some instances you will learn about their culture and other interesting things. Anime is also a good source for learning Japanese. If you watch an anime and you want to learn Japanese, watch with English subs, not dub. English subs is when it's Japanese audio with English subtitles, which is how majority of the anime you watch is going to be like. From experience, if you listen to anime in English subs, you can pick up on some Japanese words (like "baka," which means idiot).

No matter how old you are, give anime a chance. It's really good and there are so many different types of anime that you can get into besides the common known ones. Anime was made for everyone's enjoyment no matter what you are into. Consider watching one as part of your summer bucket list! 

Lead Image Credit: Madman Entertainment, Funimation Entertainment and Manga Entertainment

Destiny Abercrumbie - Bradley University

Hi, everyone! My name is Destiny Abercrumbie, not Abercrombie & Fitch, and I'm a student at Bradley University. My major is English Creative Writing and minor in Spanish. I have been writing since I was in second grade, but it didn't become a hobby until fifth grade. I love to listen to music, write and to read. I also write on Fanfiction.net and Wattpad. Feel free to follow me on Instagram @dezzyblossom