Display orientation
by Despina Douglas

The 5 Totally Awesome Things That Happen at Your Freshman Orientation

By Despina Douglas - Jun 30 2015

1. The influx of free stuff

When I say influx, I mean so much stuff it’s nearly impossible to carry it all. Between T-shirts, pens, water bottles, lanyards and other cool stuff, it’s quite obvious that one of the goals of orientation is to get us freshman proudly representing our college name anywhere and everywhere. At my college orientation, they gave everyone that wore a shirt from our rival school an extra free T-shirt. It’s time to get psyched! There’s roughly two months until move-in day so your level of school pride should be growing quickly. And what’s a better way to excite the newbies than by giving them free merchandise?

2. Your first experience living in a dorm room

Toledo Blade

If you learn anything at college orientation, it’s that the residence halls are LOUD! If you have a chance to stay overnight in a dorm, take it. You’ll realize that ear plugs should be number one on your list of things to bring in August. You will also go home begging your mom to add a rug to your dorm room shopping list because cold tile is unbearable in the middle of the night. Staying the night with your roommate gives you a chance to explore decoration options as well as an opportunity to get to know each other a bit before you actually start living together.

3. Creating your schedule

G.I. Jobs

This part of orientation is when all of your questions are answered. You’re able to talk to your advisers about a billion different things. The best part is that if they aren’t able to help you, they’re able to direct you to someone who can because you’re actually on campus. If you’re from out-of-state or your campus is just far from home, the time spent with your advisers is way easier than those automated phone calls you’re constantly making to the school.

One of the most important things to keep in mind is that the rest of the students at orientation are also picking classes. Therefore, it’s important to get to your session early or else a class you want may not be available. As you make your class schedule, you can actually create a personal schedule in your head as well. If your first class isn’t until 10:45 a.m. on a certain day, a little lightbulb will go off saying, “Oh, I can work off that ‘freshman 15’ before class!” If you have a specific time that you like to eat lunch, you can set aside that time for lunch by scheduling your classes around it. When they told you that you get to choose your class times, they weren’t lying!

4. A skyrocketing level of school pride

University of California, Davis

Orientation is most likely the first time you will be back on campus after committing to the school. This can make the visit particularly special because it’s the first time in which you can truly call the college your home. As you walk from building to building, session to session, you will most likely be thinking to yourself: “Oh my gosh, my campus is so beautiful!” Later on, you’ll take a picture of the prettiest part of campus and post it on Instagram with that exact thought typed out as the caption but hey, that’s okay! You should take pride in your university! Whether you’re there because of a scholarship, sport or a certain program, you should be making the most of the college experience. The best place to start is with school spirit!

5. The socialization

Saint Francis University

FINALLY! You get to actually attempt to make friends! Although you’ve probably heard it a million times, everyone truly is in the same boat. People are scrambling to make friends. If you’re shy, it’s okay to go out of your comfort zone a bit. If you are interested in playing corn hole during the little bit of free time that you have, don’t be afraid to join in. You’ll meet a few people and have a great time! Also, don’t forget to dress for success. Not only do you want to look nice for the event, but you are meeting your class for the first time. You want to be making a great first impression. After all, you will be spending the next four years with these people!

Lead Image Credit: University of California, Riverside

Despina Douglas - Ohio University

Despina Douglas is a freshman at Ohio University. She is deciding between majoring in either early childhood education or journalism. She swam all throughout high school. She also enjoys photography and spending time with friends. Follow her on Instagram @sabrina548!