Display leadimage
by DC

7 Easy, No-Bake Recipes to Make for a Halloween Party

By DC - Oct 29 2017

October: the month-long celebration, where we get to visit pumpkin patches, see the changing of the season, and make spooky good treats for an October bash with friends. As Halloween Night nears closer, you have all the necessities checked off for that killer party you’re throwing. You’ve got the friends, the decorations, the costumes. Now, all that’s left is the snacks. So here are seven yummy, easy, cheap, no-bake alternatives developed by yours truly to elevate your Halloween party. And the best part is that each recipe takes 5 minutes or less!

1. The Graveyard Mix

Desiree Carcamo

Perfect mix of sweetness with hints of sourness and crunch. Great to munch on and addictive. Your party guests will love it.

What you need:

Black-and-white Sandwich Cookies

Regular Gummy Worms

Sour Patch Kids

Buncha Crunch Candy

What to do:

1) Break 12 Sandwich Cookies into medium bite-sized pieces.

2) Add 10-15 Gummy Worms, 10-15 Sour Patch Kids, and a small handful of Buncha Crunch Candy. Mix together.

3) Crush 3-4 Sandwich Cookies finely and distribute evenly over the top of the bowl. Add extra gummy worms, sour patch kids and/or Buncha Crunch as garnish.

Cost: $4

Overall, I spent four dollars plus tax to make two regular sized bowls of graveyard mix. I got all of my ingredients from the 99 Cent Store.

2. Ice Cream Eyes

Desiree Carcamo

A yummy, spooky twist on the usual Halloween eyes, it’s for those of us who understand that ice cream is for all times of year.

What you need:

Vanilla Ice Cream

Strawberry syrup

M&Ms

Gummy Worms

What to do:

1) Pour strawberry syrup around the edges of the plate

2) Scoop out one scoop of vanilla ice cream

3) Put an M&M, with the M towards the ice cream scoop over the topmost center of the scoop

4) Pour a line of syrup from the M&M to the bottom

5) Add gummy worms around the eye. Just a tip: rip some worms in half so that they look like they are coming out from the eye!

Cost: $10

Overall, I spent ten dollars to get enough supplies to make a whole five-gallons worth of Ice Cream Eyes. I got the vanilla ice cream and strawberry syrup from Smart and Final. Both the ice cream and the syrup were generic brands. I got the M&Ms and gummy worms from the 99 Cent Store at a dollar plus tax for each item.

3. Popcorn Brains

Desiree Carcamo

An invigorating snack for any guests who need a sweet and slightly salty punch.

What you need:

Popcorn

Strawberry Syrup

Marshmallow Cream

What to do:

1) Get your marshmallow cream and pour strawberry syrup. Mix it together. Add more strawberry syrup as necessary to reach ideal "brain" pink.

2) Add the marshmallow cream to your popcorn. Begin with a couple of tablespoons of marshmallow cream until all the popcorn is covered in marshmallow cream.

3) Take a small handful of marshmallow-cream covered popcorn can begin pressing it together firmly. Though some of the popcorn may break, make sure to not let the popcorn be overly crushed. Add marshmallow cream if the popcorn does not hold together. Form the popcorn balls into an oblong circular shape.

4) Put the sticky popcorn balls in the fridge. Leave them for 10 to 15 minutes to set. Then, take them out.

5) Pour strawberry syrup over your chosen plate. Place your popcorn brains over your plate. Pour strawberry syrup along the middle of your popcorn brain.

Cost: $6

Overall, I spent six dollars. I bought a pack of four microwavable popcorn bags from the Dollar Tree. I got the strawberry syrup and marshmallow cream from Smart and Final.The ingredients were enough to make 24+ popcorn brains.

4. Witch Salad

Desiree Carcamo

A great meal for your pickier guests: Witch salad has gel greens with the crunch of mini-skulls and the protein of worms.

What you need:

Green Gelatin Mix

Spooky Skulls Gummy Candy

Gummy Worms

What to do:

1) Make your green gelatin mix according to its directions.

2) Before allowing the mix to set or be refrigerated, put a handful of gummy worms and a handful of the spooky skulls gummy candies. Then, allow the mix to set according to its directions.

3) After the gelatin is set, take out the set gelatin from its bowl. It is alright if the gelatin doesn't come out perfectly shaped onto your plate.

4) Now, separate the gelatin slightly. Put some more spooky skull gummy candy and gummy worms atop the gelatin.

Cost: $5

I spent five dollars to make a plate full of Witch Salad. I bought the gelatin mix from Smart and Final. I got the Spooky Skulls Gummy Candy from Target and the gummy worms from the 99 Cent Store.

5. Creepy Fingers

Desiree Carcamo

Do you need a hand? These fingers certainly do! A spooky treat for all your guests to enjoy!

What you need:

Circus Peanut Candies

Strawberry Syrup

Chocolate Syrup

What to do:

1) Squeeze circus peanut candies from the tips and from its center, lengthening the candy.

2) On one end of the candy, make a small indenture. It should be large enough to hold liquid and small enough that it resembles the size of a nail.

3) Carefully, pour chocolate syrup into the small holes. Do this for each circus peanut.

4) Pour strawberry syrup over a separate plate. Place circus peanuts onto plate. Pour more strawberry syrup onto the end of the peanut opposite to the filled indentures.

Tip: Place five creepy fingers together to resemble a hand!

Cost: $6

I spent six dollars to make 15+ creepy fingers. I bought the circus peanut candies from the Dollar Tree and the strawberry and chocolate syrup from Smart and Final. Both syrups were of the generic brand.

6. Spooky Bones

Desiree Carcamo

A crunchy treat with a soft marshmallow side!

What you need:

Scooby Snack Graham Crackers

Marshmallow Cream

Strawberry Syrup

What to do:

1) Carefully dip Scooby Snacks into marshmallow cream. Make sure to completely cover the Scooby Snack.

2) Put all the marshmallow-cream covered Scooby Snacks into the fridge. Allow to sit for 10 to 15 minutes.

3) Pour strawberry syrup over a separate plate. Place marshmallow-covered Scooby Snacks onto plate. Pout strawberry syrup over ends of bones to mimic blood.

Cost: $10

I spent ten dollars to make approximately 48 Spooky Bones. I got the mini-packs of Scooby Snacks from Target. I got the marshmallow cream and strawberry syrup from Smart and Final. the strawberry syrup was a generic brand.

7. Candy Corn Fields

Desiree Carcamo

A slightly less spooky, much sweeter version of a corn field.

What you need:

Candy Corn

Chocolate Pudding

Black and white sandwich cookies

What to do:

1) Make or acquire your chocolate pudding. If you bought a chocolate pudding mix, follow the directions.

2) Extend pudding over a flat plate. Put it in the fridge and allow it to set for 10 to 15 minutes.

3) Take out the set pudding. Crush 5 to 8 black and white sandwich cookies and spread the crushed cookie over the pudding until all the pudding is covered.

4) Line the candy corn in rows across plate.

Cost: $4

I spent four dollars to make a plate of candy corn fields. I bought the candy corn and black and white sandwich cookies from the 99 Cent Store. I bought the chocolate pudding from Smart and Final. The chocolate pudding called for two additional cups of milk which raised my personal cost to six dollars instead of four.

Conclusion:

There you all have it: Seven easy recipes to make for your smashing Halloween party! I'm sure that it'll go swell, especially when your guests get to taste these spooky good desserts. Just keep in mind: you don't have to use each single one. You can also supplement with chips and dishes. Have fun, stay safe, and enjoy these spooky good treats!

DC - University of California, Riverside

DC (also known as Creative Fish) loves animals and people and creativity. She is a Junior Editor and contributing writer on Fresh U and Media and Outreach Coordinator an interdisciplinary journal. You can follow her on Instagram @_thecreativefish to find out more about her creative hijinks and new adventures.