by Daphine Henderson

Zipcar Announces a Bike-Sharing Service for College Campuses

By Daphine Henderson - Sep 18 2016

Car-sharing company Zipcar is now looking to a different type of transportation for college students: bikes.

Zipcar announced its plans to team up with Zagster, a campus bike-sharing company, to bring bike-sharing services to 15 college campuses next year.

The car-sharing company states that adding bikes to their services will “help campuses address transportation needs while reducing overall transit costs for both universities and students.”

Open Grid Scheduler via Flickr Commons

Zagstar will be managing the “Zipbike,” but with Zipcar’s support, the bike-sharing service says to be offering universities, “roughly 10 percent of the cost of a typical campus bike share,” says vice president of finance and strategy at Zipcar, David Piperno.

The first college campuses to access the service have not been announced by the two companies.

“Our immediate focus with Zipbike is to bring bike sharing to campuses where it previously would not have been possible,” Piperno says.

Zipcar is already present on 500 college campuses, and offers students discounted memberships for their car-sharing services. The company also announced last week that it has reached one million fee-paying users.

So if you couldn't bring your bike to college, you might just be able to rent one.

Lead Image Credit: Twitter

Daphine Henderson - University of Maryland, College Park

Daphine Henderson is a sophomore at the University of Maryland College Park majoring in Music Performance on Bass. She enjoys reading, writing, and anything involved with music and art. Follow her on Twitter @Guinea231 !