Display 20161129 000947
by Daphine Henderson

Vanderbilt Students Troll UT With Rocky Top Song After Football Win

By Daphine Henderson - Nov 29 2016

After a Sunday night college football win for Vanderbilt with a score of 45-34 over the University of Tennessee, some frat students decided to find a different way to celebrate their victory.

A group of Vanderbilt students gathered at the frat houses around 45 minutes after the game and danced to the tune “Rocky Top” as a troll victory celebration to the rivaled UT fans that were leaving campus.

Danny Smartt, a Vanderbilt fan, was with his daughters in the parking garage across the street following the football game when they saw the dancing. He posted a video of the students on his Twitter page later that night:

The video has over 4,000 retweets and over 7,000 likes.

FreshU contacted Smartt via Twitter for more details on the video:

“As you can guess, this was a huge rivalry game, so after the victory the students found a fun a non-insulting way to troll all the UT fans as they were sitting in traffic waiting to get out,” he explained.

When asked about the UT fans’ reactions, Smartt described it to be more positive than negative:

“Based on a lot of Twitter responses, the UT fans are bothered by it a little but more than anything they do find it very funny and enjoyable to watch. There have just been a very few negative responses… I have received responses from fans from so many different schools who have just loved the video and say that they can’t quit watching.”

Smartt was also astonished when he saw his video was going viral:

“I don’t have many followers mainly because I don’t tweet a whole lot. Actually got off Twitter for several months and just got back on prior to football season. Just wanted to share with a few friends, so to see where it is now is pretty crazy.”

Smartt has also posted the video on YouTube for others to view and enjoy.

Daphine Henderson - University of Maryland, College Park

Daphine Henderson is a sophomore at the University of Maryland College Park majoring in Music Performance on Bass. She enjoys reading, writing, and anything involved with music and art. Follow her on Twitter @Guinea231 !