by Daphine Henderson

University of Vermont Flies Black Lives Matter Flag Over Student Center

By Daphine Henderson - Sep 29 2016

It was an average Thursday at the University of Vermont — except something exciting was happening at the Dudley H. Davis Student Center. A crowd of students swarmed around the flagpole, where a Black Lives Matter flag hung proudly in the sky.

Akilah Ho-young, a sophomore at UVM majoring in Biology, posted the picture on Facebook, which soon went viral with over 14,000 shares.

Fresh U asked Ho-young through Facebook direct message about the initial reaction of her and other students about the flag:

“My body was filled with soooooo much joy. I was ready to cry. I was smiling for the rest of that day. I think other people are happy it's up but definitely as surprised as I was. It's like a 'you have to see it to believe it' kind of thing.”

When Fresh U asked Ho-young about the college’s interaction with social justice, she was proud to describe UVM’s participation:

“The UVM community is huge on social justice. When I have job training for any job on my campus, we learn about social justice and what that means to an individual. However, talk about the BLM movement was not prominent on our campus. So I was surprised the flag was put up.”

In light of the flag being raised, Ho-young and her roommate Haydee Miranda created a BLM event that recently took place on Monday to continue to bring awareness to the movement in a peaceful way.

“We plan to achieve unity and acknowledgement of our black community and their allies on campus.”

We commend UVM for showing their support for the community's and their student's values without discrimination.

Lead Image Credit: Facebook

Daphine Henderson - University of Maryland, College Park

Daphine Henderson is a sophomore at the University of Maryland College Park majoring in Music Performance on Bass. She enjoys reading, writing, and anything involved with music and art. Follow her on Twitter @Guinea231 !