by Daphine Henderson

This Wake Forest Student Went Skydiving to Raise Awareness for Alzheimer’s

By Daphine Henderson - Oct 03 2016

Wake Forest University grad student Caroline Magee was able to find a unique way to raise awareness about Alzheimer’s. On September 23 she went skydiving, according to USA Today. Her motivation was spurred after her father was diagnosed four years ago with early-onset Alzheimer’s. She told USA Today:

“I wanted to feel like I was doing something."

More than five million Americans are currently suffering with the disease, and someone new is diagnosed every 66 seconds, according to the Alzheimer's Association.

Magee is definitely not afraid of heights. Flying with her dad, a former pilot, was one of her favorite memories. He gave lessons in a small plane owned by the family. She told USA Today how much of an influence he had on her life.

“He was such a teacher. He’d say he was going to take a nap and that I could fly myself for 10 minutes — I realized later he’d had autopilot on, but he wanted me to feel like I was flying the plane.”

Her skydiving charity has raised $4,150 so far; she is hoping to reach a total of $5,000. With that she plans to fund research at the Alzheimer’s Association and the local support group in Roanoke, VA, her hometown. You can visit her GoFundMe page here.

“When you have Alzheimer’s, there is no control,” she said to USA Today. “When I jumped out, it was me taking control back in this awful disease and not letting it get me down.”

We applaud Caroline for being able to find a unique way to raise money and awareness for a largely known issue for Americans.

Lead Image Credit: Caroline Magee

Daphine Henderson - University of Maryland, College Park

Daphine Henderson is a sophomore at the University of Maryland College Park majoring in Music Performance on Bass. She enjoys reading, writing, and anything involved with music and art. Follow her on Twitter @Guinea231 !