by Daphine Henderson

This High School Senior Got the Surprise of a Lifetime for His Last Basketball Game

By Daphine Henderson - Feb 27 2017

Every high school senior athlete knows what it’s like to go through senior night, the last home game of their respective sports season. The usual tradition is to be announced for your seniority, as you receive an award as you walk down the field, court, or aisle with your parents. However, this tradition may not be the same for everyone, as it was shown when Cam Watt only walked down the basketball court with his step-father on February 24th.

A senior at Saint Joe High School in South Bend, Indiana, Cam was only expecting to be announced alongside his father, receive his flowers, and move on to play in his last home basketball game as a senior high school student.

“We knew for a while my mom wasn’t going to be able to make it because she had to have surgery 2 days before my senior night, so I just thought I was walking with my step dad,” Watt explains.

Cam’s family, however, had something else planned.

“I was watching JV and at the end of the game I looked up, and my family from Detroit, Michigan was there and I was excited about it.”

As Cam waited beside his step-father to be called last, a surprise waited for him soon after he walked out in the court. What Cam didn’t expect was a visit from his sister, who took a day off from her service in the Marine Corps to surprise him.

“When I was walking out and I heard ‘We have a surprise for Cam,’ I got a weird feeling they were gonna do something funny. But then I turned around and saw my sister and my heart just exploded with love and excitement.”

The video, shown below, has received 7,600 retweets and 22,100 likes:

Lead Image Credit: Twitter

Daphine Henderson - University of Maryland, College Park

Daphine Henderson is a sophomore at the University of Maryland College Park majoring in Music Performance on Bass. She enjoys reading, writing, and anything involved with music and art. Follow her on Twitter @Guinea231 !