by Daphine Henderson

This College Student Showed Everyone the Hazards of Littering on Beaches

By Daphine Henderson - Mar 24 2017

College students have about a week or two of spring break after a stressful period of midterms. Some choose to stay home or travel. Many go to the numerous beaches around the country with their friends and family members to swim, relax, and have fun. 

There is a line to cross when having fun, however, and University of Oklahoma Freshman Jackquelyn Nguyen took the liberty to show us where that line was:

The tweet has nearly 25 thousand retweets and over 27 thousand likes. 

"It all started last year when I read an article in time that stated that the Great Barrier Reef was rapidly dying before our eyes. This got my attention because it has always been on my bucket list to visit the Great Barrier Reef since I love marine life. I ended up doing research that night and I had an epiphany which basically made me change my major to environmental sustainability because I saw that our world was dying," Jackquelyn tells Fresh U.  "Fast forward to this semester, I started to take an intro class called 'global environmental issues' and we were allowed to sign up for a 'hot topic' in which I chose to do mine over water pollution, specifically the effects of plastic pollution on marine life. I also chose water pollution for my comp class as well too talk about the whole semester. With all the newfound knowledge in hand and the upcoming spring break, I knew the best way to get my peers attention by posting a tweet over the pollution that happens when students go one spring break due to all the alcohol and trash."

Not personally going to the beach herself, Jackquelyn received the pictures to her tweet online, which showcased a beach in Florida during Spring Break. 

"Overall it's been pretty good but there's some people who are pretty bitter about me tweeting about the environment."

Jackquelyn's tweet has raised awareness all around the internet about the dangers of littering and plastic pollution.

We hope that people become more aware of the fact that littering is dangerous, and poses a serious threat to not just marine life, but our own lives.

Lead Image Credit: Twitter

Daphine Henderson - University of Maryland, College Park

Daphine Henderson is a sophomore at the University of Maryland College Park majoring in Music Performance on Bass. She enjoys reading, writing, and anything involved with music and art. Follow her on Twitter @Guinea231 !