Display untitled 4
by Daphine Henderson

This College Student Received a Heartfelt Father's Day Gift From His Brother

By Daphine Henderson - Jun 21 2017

This past Sunday was Father's Day for millions of people around the nation. Many were able to celebrate, while some were unable to, or chose not to. However, one college student was able to experience Father's Day in a different fashion — through a gift from his younger brother. 

Ethan Lanphere's youngest brother Jackson, who had just turned nine years old, was working on a school project for Father's Day. Jackson had decided to dedicate the letter to Lanphere instead. 

"It was very touching," Lanphere says. "When I found the letter, I went and hugged my brother and we went upstairs to play a game of FIFA!"

A sophomore at Cornell University, Lanphere had to step up to take care of his family after his father left around three months ago. While he was finishing his second semester at Cornell, his mother was watching over his two younger brothers. 

"Once I came back, I've been looking after my brothers more while they finish up school and while my mom works at our local hospital," Lanphere said. "I'm the oldest of us three brothers, and they look up to me as a role model.

Cornell was a few hours away from Lanphere's home, so it was hard to be available to help at times. Lanphere would occasionally visit home on weekends to surprise his family.

"I try to do everything I can to make sure my mom isn't too stressed out with this whole ordeal, as well as making sure my brothers are doing well in school and being as happy as they can be," he said.

The tweet has over 10,000 likes and over 1,100 retweets.

Lanphere has received plenty of positivity and support from people on Twitter. He has received multiple messages from people that empathize and wish him the best, for which he is extremely grateful.

"I'm definitely more proud of my brother and the letter he wrote me rather than the amount of likes it amassed on social media," Lanphere said. "He's a wonderful kid, and I'm sure he'll grow and develop into an amazing man."

This goes to show that not everyone has to be a father to be a great father-figure.

Lead Image Credit: Twitter via ethanlanphere

Daphine Henderson - University of Maryland, College Park

Daphine Henderson is a sophomore at the University of Maryland College Park majoring in Music Performance on Bass. She enjoys reading, writing, and anything involved with music and art. Follow her on Twitter @Guinea231 !