Display tarleton sm fb rs
by Daphine Henderson

Texas University has First Known Firearm Incident Since Campus Carry Started

By Daphine Henderson - Sep 23 2016

Tarleton State University in Stephenville, Texas experienced a firearm incident that involved a licensed to carry student on Wednesday. This makes it the first known on-campus incident with a firearm in the state since the campus carry law went into effect in Texas on August first.

A statement was released by the university, sharing that the university’s “utmost concern is for the safety and security of our students, faculty and staff, and the university takes every precaution to provide as safe an environment as possible.”

The incident has already caught the attention of many on Twitter:

Also according to the statement, the holder self-reported the incident. The accidental discharge occurred in one of the campus residence halls, Integrity Hall. There were no injuries and “minimal” damage, says university spokesman Harry Battson in a prepared statement.

As of right now, the university is responding to the incident by following policies and making “every effort to assure the safety of our people.”

Tarleton State permits licensed concealed carry holders to have guns in classrooms, faculty offices, gyms and dorms, as long as a steel safe is installed that locks electronically to store the weapons, according to the university’s website.

We are glad that no one was hurt.

Lead Image Credit: Twitter

Daphine Henderson - University of Maryland, College Park

Daphine Henderson is a sophomore at the University of Maryland College Park majoring in Music Performance on Bass. She enjoys reading, writing, and anything involved with music and art. Follow her on Twitter @Guinea231 !