Display 636137624161794976 thinkstockphotos 486206608
by Daphine Henderson

New Mexico College Spends $7,000 Of Taxpayer Dollars On Bigfoot Expedition

By Daphine Henderson - Nov 09 2016

Christopher Dyer, the executive director at University of New Mexico Gallup spent more than $7,000 in taxpayer money to fund a Bigfoot conference and expedition.

An avid Bigfoot hunter, Dyer coordinated the events, which covered advertising, meals for guest speakers, airfare, and hotel, according to KRQE.

The two-day conference in February covered “evidence, ecology and behavior” of Bigfoot that featured a New Mexico naturalist and an Idaho professor. Posters advertised Jeff Meldrum as a “renowned expert” on Sasquatch. 

KRQE also reports that the university gave Medlrum a $1,000 honorarium in addition to having his expenses paid. After the conference, Dyer and a few others that did not include students or faculty went on a university-funded Bigfoot expedition. The total came to be $7,458.

Unfortunately, Dyer and his group did not find Bigfoot.

UNM President Robert Frank also speaks to KRQE:

“Dr. Dyer needs to be much more thoughtful about how he undertakes these activities. The type of expedition that just took place was not appropriate and will not occur in that manner again.”

Maybe they would think differently if the school had actually been the ones to find Bigfoot.

Lead Image Credit: Ashley May, USA TODAY College 

Daphine Henderson - University of Maryland, College Park

Daphine Henderson is a sophomore at the University of Maryland College Park majoring in Music Performance on Bass. She enjoys reading, writing, and anything involved with music and art. Follow her on Twitter @Guinea231 !