by Daphine Henderson

Fraternity Under Investigation After Offensive Scavenger Hunt List Was Found

By Daphine Henderson - Nov 03 2016

The Sigma Nu house at Michigan State is now under investigation from the university and its national organization after an offensive scavenger hunt list was found that allegedly belongs to the group.

The list, entitled “Scavenger Hunt Fall '16 [sic],” was found at a college building and was shared with university officials. The list, provided to USA TODAY College by anonymous students, showed multiple references to Sigma Nu and the house’s Greek letters. 

A variety of tasks are also listed for fraternity members to complete and includes points for completing each item. 

The tasks included engaging in and photographing sexual behavior, stealing and getting the door codes to sorority houses.

All students questioned about the list or the scavenger hunt declined to comment and directed any further questions to Sigma Nu’s national Director of Risk Reduction, Fred Dobry.

He told USA Today College:

"I can tell you that scavenger hunts are specifically prohibited by Sig Nu policy, thus we are engaging in an immediate investigation to determine if this is a component or piece of their experience at the Sig Nu chapter at Michigan State University.” 

Dobry had only become aware of the incident when he was contacted by USA TODAY College for comments.

According to Dobry, the investigation by the fraternity headquarters also “indicated that the chapter leaders were also unaware of any such list being used in the chapter."

Alongside the members of Sigma Nu, multiple members of Greek organizations outside Sigma Nu were also on the list.

Terrence Frazier, the Michigan State Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs and Services, stated that his office was aware of the list and was in conversation with Sigma Nu.

"The actions implied in the list are in no way aligned with MSU’s values,” Frazier said in an e-mailed statement. “Our Office for Student Affairs and Services works closely with our Greek organizations on the myriad ways they enhance the campus community. We also have ongoing discussions with members on how to best represent MSU in a responsible manner that supports our core values.”

The governing body for MSU fraternities also issued a statement in response to the scavenger hunt list:

“The Interfraternity Council is taking this allegation seriously. We have taken actions internally to investigate the validity and source of the claim. … Hazing — which includes ‘scavenger hunt’ activities requiring new members to perform a series of actions — is strictly prohibited by our local and (inter)national governing policies, is illegal, and, frankly, is a horrid act that degrades human dignity." 

We hope Michigan State gets to the bottom of this issue and finds out more information.

Lead Image Credit: Rory Finneren via Flickr Creative Commons

Daphine Henderson - University of Maryland, College Park

Daphine Henderson is a sophomore at the University of Maryland College Park majoring in Music Performance on Bass. She enjoys reading, writing, and anything involved with music and art. Follow her on Twitter @Guinea231 !