Display 2969665423 6e17fe6ae6 o
by Daphine Henderson

Less Than Half of Millennials Say They Will Vote in This Election

By Daphine Henderson - Oct 12 2016

It’s been the question on almost everyone’s mind: 

Who are you voting for?

Many millennials have been struggling to find the answer to this question this election year. A large amount are choosing to not participate in Election Day solely based on the fact that they can’t decide between Democrat Hillary Clinton or Republican Donald Trump.

According to an ABC News/Washington Post poll

41% of millennials (voters aged 18-39) stated they were “absolutely certain” to vote. 

15% stated that they will “probably vote.”

However, 75% of people over 30 years old said they were certain to vote.

The other thing to add is that this poll statistics came from both registered and non registered voters. According to the Washington Post, people who are not already registered are less likely to vote.

Compared to 2012, where only about half were certain, this year nearly two-thirds of registered voters between the ages of 18 and 29 are certain they are going to vote.

The following video elaborates the statistics for our respective voting topic:

Similarities in both the 2012 and 2016 elections is that voters between the ages of 18 and 29 are reported to prefer the Democratic nominee. The margin of difference, however, is tighter than it was in 2012, with young voters preferring Clinton by two points, when voters preferred Obama by 30 points.

This election year, there is a thin margin between Trump and Clinton. This may be due to the tendency of specifically white millennials to vote Republican like other white voters, rather than other millennials, says the Washington Post.

Many people are encouraging millennials to vote next month. One included Jane O’Meara Sanders, Sen. Bernie Sanders’ wife, who tweeted Thursday:

Since Democratic nominee Bernie Sanders, who was a popular choice among millennials, is now out of the race, some are turning their eyes towards Green Party candidate Jill Stein in response to O’Meara Sanders' announcement on Twitter:

Some still have unbroken loyalty towards Sanders:

Others have chosen to not vote at all:

Many millennials are aware of the importance of voting this election year. Some college publications have published editorials that endorse voting.

The Beacon, the editorial board at the University of Portland published an editorial on Thursday that urged students 18 and old to register and vote:

“Watch the debates and really listen. Consider how the issues the candidates talk about affect you and the people you love. Where do your priorities lie? No matter what side you’re on, develop opinions and have face-to-face conversations about how you understand this democracy. And when November rolls around, it is imperative that you vote.”
“As tempting as it may be to just retweet and share inflammatory and potentially incorrect posts about presidential candidates and the election — don’t,” they stated.

SUU News, the editorial board of Southern Utah University wrote in May:

“Whatever the reason may be, voting should be more important, especially for college students. It is a right we have because of those many brave men and women who died for our freedom. Shouldn’t we take advantage of it, whether we agree with the system or not?”

We encourage everyone to go out there and vote, regardless of their political standing. 

You can stay up to speed on the debate, tweet responses to the candidates, how other college students are thinking about voting and why, breakdowns, and memes for when you get sick of it all right here on Fresh U.

Lead Image Credit: Kelley Minars on Flickr Commons

Daphine Henderson - University of Maryland, College Park

Daphine Henderson is a sophomore at the University of Maryland College Park majoring in Music Performance on Bass. She enjoys reading, writing, and anything involved with music and art. Follow her on Twitter @Guinea231 !