Display fresh u
by Daphine Henderson

Student Who Posted Racist Snapchat Is No Longer Enrolled at Kansas State

By Daphine Henderson - Sep 18 2016

An offensive Snapchat post that featured a Kansas State University student has gone viral. The post depicted blackface and racist commentary. The student who posted it is no longer enrolled at the school.

by @JustDesmund on Twitter

The snapchat post showed the student and another person depicting blackface. The caption read, "Feels good to finally be a n---a."

The Snapchat post went viral after being shared on Twitter Thursday morning by user @JustDesmund. The post was also shared on the Facebook profile of the student in the Snapchat post, Paige Shoemaker. @JustDesmund’s tweet, which has been recently retweeted over 16,000 times, included the message: 

Welcome to Kansas State University. Where breakfast in the morning is some K-State Family with a side of Racism.

A subtweet also included:

I’m supposed to walk into my classes feeling completely comfortable with people on our campus who think like this?

Shortly after the post went viral, Pat Bosco, Kansas State’s Vice President of Student Life, released a statement condemning Paige’s actions. 

“This photo has students, faculty, staff and other members of the K-State family upset. It rightly should, as there is no place for racism at our university, regardless of what the intentions may have been. K-State prides itself on being one family, no matter your race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation or abilities,” the statement reads.

Later that day, Kansas State released another statement confirming “the involved person is not currently enrolled at the university.”

Zeta Tau Alpha, of which Paige was formerly a member, has also condemned her actions, posting on Facebook: “We have become aware that a former member of our chapter has posted racist comments on her social media channels. While she did join the Beta Upsilon Chapter at Kansas State University in 2013, she has not been a member since spring 2015 and is no longer affiliated with the organization in any capacity. Her words and actions certainly do not reflect the values and principles of Zeta Tau Alpha.”

Interviewing with Fusion, Paige says she took the Snapchat and posted it to her public story as she was doing a clay face mask.

“It was sent in a joking manner to our friends,” she told Fusion. “I am the least racist and most accepting person you will meet. Never would I send it in a derogatory way.”

This is a serious lesson, that even if something was intended to be a “joke,” racism is extremely harmful and offending — and is never justifiable.

Lead Image Credit: Twitter

Daphine Henderson - University of Maryland, College Park

Daphine Henderson is a sophomore at the University of Maryland College Park majoring in Music Performance on Bass. She enjoys reading, writing, and anything involved with music and art. Follow her on Twitter @Guinea231 !