Display pads
by Daphine Henderson

Brown University Is Giving Away Free Tampons and Pads in Bathrooms

By Daphine Henderson - Sep 11 2016

Brown University has stocked all public bathrooms on campus with feminine hygiene products, for free.

This is all thanks to a student-led effort that effectively argued that pads and tampons are essential products and not a luxury.

“Why aren’t these products treated the same way as other products we hand out, like toilet paper?,” President of the Undergraduate Council of Students, Viet Nguyen, tells The Guardian.  “It’s a necessity, rather than a luxury, so Brown and other universities should treat them as such.”

And another thing: students are able to find the products in not only women’s bathrooms, but men’s and gender-inclusive bathrooms in non-residential buildings as well, according to The Guardian.

Nguyen hopes the inclusiveness to transgender students helps to motivate other universities and student governments to take similar actions in reference to addressing the continuous issue of equity.

Many people aren't buying it, though, as evident through many of the responses on Twitter in reference to the news on providing those essentials for both males and females.

Many people, like cartoon franchise Deplorable Cartoons, believes that the necessities should only be provided in women's restrooms, as it is "stupid" to believe that men would have any need for them.

Others are even beginning to question their faith in humanity...

However, some pages like TheFrisky stress the importance of having feminine hygiene products in both women's and men's restrooms.

Many are all for the movement.

Newsweek also reports that funding was provided for the feminine hygiene products by the undergraduate student association’s finance board. This movement to provide these essentials for free also follows the national pressure by students to make sure there is a constant line of access to necessities.

A student government statement also reads:

“We want to stress that this has been long overdue and encourage other student governments to make this issue a priority going into this school year.”

We applaud Brown University on their inclusion of all students and their commitment to providing for their students.

Lead Image Credit: Stilfehler via Wikimedia Commons

Daphine Henderson - University of Maryland, College Park

Daphine Henderson is a sophomore at the University of Maryland College Park majoring in Music Performance on Bass. She enjoys reading, writing, and anything involved with music and art. Follow her on Twitter @Guinea231 !